IGNORED

Solid State Hard Drives

DEANO2

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The start up delay is greatly reduced when using SSD for the OS !

+100

I replaced the startup HDD on my desktop with a SSD a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. Not only does the computer boot much faster, I no longer need to go for coffee while waiting for my mail program to start up.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Interesting given the greater electrical noise of an SSD according to ElviaCaprice

I'm not sure that the greater electrical noise matters that much if you are playing your music from memory rather than directly from the SSD.

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In other words, your recommendation here is for HDD, as  SSDs are highly unlikely to be competitive on price per GB in the immediate future.

Due to cost, I don't think SSDs make sense for music drives if you've got a lot of music, especially in HR PCM and DSD formats.

I use a SSD for my startup drive and 5400 rpm HDDs (Western Digital Reds) for my external music drives and NAS. I don't think there's any need for 7200 rpm drives if they're just for music. 

43 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Let's suppose you just bought a fast iMc with a big 4TB Fusion drive - how would you attach an SSD to it to use the greater speed?  it has Thumperbolt/USB-C ports already.

And what would you do re the OS, or moving apps, data files to make use of the speed?

The Fusion drive in your iMac is essentially a combination HDD and SDD. I would assume that the OS is running from the SDD for maximum speed.

OWC sells SSD enclosures if you want to add as an external drive although I don't really see the advantage if you are just playing music as even the slowest HDD is plenty fast enough and a lot cheaper.

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

no it would be to speed up some programs and searches, not for music

It's my understanding that the OS automatically figures out what programs to run from the SSD based on how often they are run so you might already be getting the benefits of having an SSD for your frequently used apps. 

If you're interested in adding SSD storage, head over to OWC and plug your computer into their upgrade configurator to see what you can do:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/

I'd steer away from anything that requires you to open the iMac unless you've got a lot of confidence in your DIY skills. :)

21 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

Yes My apologies,  I should have clarified.  There are certain things we can't get from the US now the free trade agreements were torn up . Music from Hd Tracks, stuff from Amazon like things made in Asia. But not to worry won't be long wait before thing's are back to normal . 

Trump hasn't torn up any free trade agreements... yet. :)

He pulled the U.S. out of TPP negotiations and Canada, Mexico, and the U.S. are currently discussing changing the terms of NAFTA but that's about it.