IGNORED

Solid State Hard Drives

DEANO2

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

are there any comparative listening tests?

The only one that I am aware of, was a simple listening comparison several years ago at a C.A. Symposium organised by Chris Connaker,  where the overall preference was for the sound from SSD.

My own preference is for SSD where the +5V supply to it has been improved, and also increases the isolation between the SSD and other areas via the PSU. (+12V internal supply regulated down to +5V for the SSD)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

Achievable in a desktop,  Not so much in a laptop.

I have the attached DIY supply with 2 separate +5V outputs bolted to the bottom of my desktop's case.

It uses 2 LM317T voltage regulators plus separate low noise Shunt Regulators.

Dual +5V PSU for 2 SSDs.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

40 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Interesting given the greater electrical noise of an SSD according to ElviaCaprice

In my case, the abrupt changes in current demand by the SSD are prevented from reflecting into the other SSD , or back into the PSU to affect other components.

IIRC, Chris C. said that the HDD sounded a little "muddy  sounding in comparison with the HDD

7 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

more info on the CA listening session might help

Then ask Chris about the Symposium that he organised several years back.

14 minutes ago, mansr said:

Whatever is cheapest per GB while within your budget. You'll use the space eventually.

In other words, your recommendation here is for HDD, as  SSDs are highly unlikely to be competitive on price per GB in the immediate future.

4 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I'd say go ahead, It's cheap enough now to make it pretty much a no brainer up to 1TB (~$300), but above that it's still really expensive. 

You lucky buggers !:D

I haven't seen an SSD of that size available  for anywhere near the Au $ equivalent here.

I try to buy locally wherever possible , in case of warranty problems and return shipping if needed.

1 minute ago, zackthedog said:

For sound files I definitely prefer HDD.

If you had the room inside to clean up the +5V power supply for the  SSD, your preference would most likely change.

8 hours ago, DEANO2 said:

Hi mate Centercom has SSD pretty cheap up to 500 gb of course not as cheap as the US.  250 gb Samsung 850 $134.00

Hi Dean

I am already using a Samsung 850 250GB, but I would love to have one of at least 500GB capacity . However, SSDs of that size are too expensive Downunder, as well as which it could be a nightmare if bought from overseas with Warranties and returns etc.

Regards

Alex

9 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

What is the best price (in $US please) you've seen for a 500GB SSD? I got mine from Amazon, You Aussies have Amazon do you not?

Just starting up here. In any case, a few weeks back I was running out of storage, so I ended up buying  an internal 2TB SATA HDD over the counter for Au$95

38 minutes ago, rando said:

Last year the showcase computer deal on Amazon for Black Friday was a Crucial 750GB SSD for $100.  Worth keeping in mind.

Amazon Au. has opened it's factory, but isn't due to launch in Au. until a little later this month.

I just checked the Amazon Au. site and found Samsung SSDs, but it said that this item does not ship to Australia.

12 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

although i predominately buy samsung, i really haven't had any issues with any brand....did they have any other brand ssd's that ship to australia?

I didn't bother checking further, as this will almost certainly apply to all SSDs from Amazon USA.

They are due to open their doors in Au. very shortly, certainly in time for the Xmas trade, as their factory is already staffed.

55 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

Here a 500 gb is around $220 I'll see if Amazon will send it here say for a Samsung. You must rememberthat Orange turd in the white house stopped free trade agreements.l will get back to you.

I tried Amazon .au where I found the price you mentioned , but they said that they would not ship to Australia.

Don't forget that with the current Exchange Rate we will be paying around 25% more anyway,

even when they start up in Au. later this month. 

22 minutes ago, DEANO2 said:

I could get it , by the time I receive it postage, exchange rates etc it costs about the same at Centercom. Anyway I'm having difficulty getting fired up and I'm pissed off, lol.

mwave has Free Shipping on Samsung SSDs at present

This one is Au$218

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III 6GB/s 3D V-NAND SSD MZ-75E500

Google "How do SSDs work " and read the article from Extreme Tech.

40 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hmmmn methinks I should back up more frequently !

Hi David

Did you or anybody else, try my suggestion about Googling "How do SSDs work-from Extreme Tech "

I was on my mobile at the time,so I didn't give the actual link.

The reverse is true, it's Write Cycles, not Reading, that causes the degradation over a period of time.

Regards

Alex

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/210492-extremetech-explains-how-do-ssds-work

8 hours ago, marce said:

I use RAID HDD for back up storage, two identical NAS drives, 6TB each 3 available with RAID 1. SSD drives for OS and other write limited data, fast read required. For example my RAW files are stored on SSD, as they never change, my Lightroom stuff resides on a HDD as it does lots of writing. In my work laptop swapped the HDD for a SSD, initial load up incredible, otherwise no real difference, but most of the work is memory based, with disk access only for saving. So I mix and match depending on the requirements... As data is buffered, and music gets distributed wirelessly I don't worry about noise. 

Noise... different noise spectrum's from each as HDD has a mechanical element and thus a motor, SSD has multiple gates switching simultaneously, leading to higher levels of simultaneous switching noise.

As an aside after many moons of self debate I have decided on my initial new set up for when (if ever we move, builders, plumbers, electricians etc. in the UK seem to work to their own time scale, all seem to have multiple jobs on the go at once and winning the lottery is a better bet than getting work finished on time!!!) I get in my new abode.. Having observed the complexity many go to (and related stress:D) I have decided to go simple, ATC40A's and CDA2...

Sorry for OT.

Oh and thanks for so many diverging views, that is what made me go for what has been a life (almost) long dream, to own ATC actives.

Marc

Thanks for sharing.

Regards

Alex