IGNORED

Building a PC to improve SMS-200 Ultra

Yes, i agree with improve network switch will sure improve your current and future setup.

In addition LPS is a must. However, However if you want to goto PH stuff be advise of a super long wait. Mine 6 moths and is last year. i end up changed the setup when i got mind.

Also check out a new company do custom Audio grade LPS and Router and switch. They have 30 days. and I just ordered mine to compare. 

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

5 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

The real question then becomes, does a modified server via sCLK-EX make a modified renderer sCLK-EX, repetitive or unnecessary?  Answer depends on your design and power supplies.  Roy and I would say, yes. 

Yes, i support that as well. However, your server has to be sCLK-EX or better clock board. if not your SQ will be degraded. Been there done that. Just try to saving you sometime.

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,

1 hour ago, Advieira said:

Do you know if its possible to install Rock in a fanless NUC Celeron?||
Many serious audiophile devices, like Aurender, uses simple and small motherboard fanless and not too powerful processor.

Yes, you sure can do this with all native support. However if you want to use up sampling it will be different story.

3 hours ago, octaviars said:

Can you elaborate on this part when you use ROCK?

Nothing to do in ROCK. it is just an bridge mode with static IP.

4 hours ago, ElviaCaprice said:

You lost me.  Isn't that what we are talking about, doing a mod on a mobo with the sCLK-EX?  So you have done this mod before?  I know Roy and I have, didn't know anyone else has?  It made a huge difference modifying the mobo with the sCLK-EX and clean power.  So big, that, I wouldn't add any fixers to the server stream, go straight to the DAC, bit perfect. 

Yes, been there done that. I have the US distribution done the mod for me on Sotm. since they are really skilled. I also done it compare with different module like Pink Faun's and also compare all together with SGM 2015 as well. 

What i can conclude is even with the clock an True LPS is a must for this setup. I mean true ATX LPS. without that it is just like a ferrari feeding them with propane. 

Yes, it is. But base on this I  guarantee it won’t go far. 

And the  only commercial product with good mobo clock replacement is SGM2015

45 minutes ago, Advieira said:

Have anyone of you guys tried that cheap chinese htpc fanless i5?

I would not. In audio world what you pay is half of what you get, because your mobo must be noisy than it doesn’t matter what kind of LPS you feed in. I’ll bet a used Mac mini sure better.

44 minutes ago, Advieira said:

I really thought that Jcat Femto Net Card Lan was the ultimate key.

That is just part of it. But Certainly not ultimate. 

47 minutes ago, Advieira said:

My concerns are: what can I do in my transport/server to get better quality in the chain TRANSPORT/SERVER > ULTRA > DAC.

Yes, this is the correct chain. And they need to be separate. 

7 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Not sure if you responded, but what "true ATX LPS" are you referring to?

True ATX LPS is no switching power in the chains of the Server. Which include but not limit to the following 24pin, 8pin, usb card, Sata Power, Clock power, Molex. hope it help.

1 hour ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Your going to have to do better than that.  What power supply, supplies are you suggesting?  In particular the 24pin and 8pin.  How are you accounting for the switching power within the mobo itself, outside the 24 pin?   By the way, I don't disagree with this, but I have not seen a commercial or privately made mobo that accomplishes your so called "True ATX LPS" as you so define it as "no switching power in the chains of the server".  Please point us to some mobo's with this feature, reasonable priced, not some ridiculous boutique pricing?

Absolutely I agree it can do better. but My ATX LPS idea is direct connect to the mobo 24 & 8 pins. Mobo internal regulator which might be able to replace. but not at my level and i don't want to take a risk just yet.

Please point us to some mobo's with this feature, reasonable priced, not some ridiculous boutique pricing?

None that i seen so far. 

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

So it's just an idea, you don't know of any LPS that can power an ATX motherboard?  I know of a way to do it with either a PICO or HDPlex adapter, but I have been looking for a way to do it cleanly and directly from an LPS.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that it's the best solution, but to my knowledge it doesn't exist right now.

Here is my story. 6 years ago i gave the same idea to Paul. The idea is True Linear ATX Power Supply with 9 rails output. And he replied with he can only done with 5 Rails and the cost is sky high 7k if i remember right. and this never happen. Than i share it with couple of my co-worker the idea they call me cray but might able to pull it off. (Of Course it never happen). 

Fast forward, Now is 2017 and i just place an order for the audio router from this new company www.thelinearsolution.com they seem to be very knowledgeable in what they are doing. And i gave the same idea to them and see what their reply are and i will keep you guys posted.

4 hours ago, Johnseye said:

I know of a way to do it with either a PICO or HDPlex adapter

Thanks, Yes, i aware of this items couple years ago. I tried them both plus some. but the sound quality is not i'm looking for.

May be is my bad. I set the bar too high which it compare to my vinyl rig and extreme digital rig.

4 minutes ago, LTG2010 said:

Pink Faun's Streamers use linear ATX power supplies dont know how many rails but the cost is 7K for the top of the line Streamer and doubles for the 2 box solution.

Yes, He said that, and i also follow the SGM2015 server that Jord help to build. but he won't say detail about specification for his linear ATX design. And he only sell it with his server.

2 minutes ago, GUTB said:

Wtf are you guys talking about? HDPlex sells one with native ATX outputs for $800 and there's a TeraDak for $530 that uses an ATX adapter.

Thanks, Yes, been there and done that. 

10 hours ago, bibo01 said:

http://www.teradak.com/products/105.html

Is this what you used? Or a DC-DC adapter?

Yes use this 400W 3yrs ago. Heat is so bad and died in a 1.5yr.

may be bad luck, bought an 600w http://www.teradak.com/products/106.html same result SQ change when it get so hot so easy so fast. 

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

I personally don't understand any resistance to trying a server with sCLK-EX modded clocks.  Adhering to an endpoint approach without knowing anything about a direct approach is folly.  In the end, both approaches could result in the same sound quality because they are both using the sCLK-EX.  If that's the case why the resistance?

Well, I been there and done that as well. I would say using the end-point is much easier for many of us. It is simple plug and play. And you can use any computer to feed in. 

The Modded clock solution require to pick out a mobo, send it in to sotm or their distribution, than mess with finding a all other components, installing window, AO, Ssetup, Testing and who know where it went wrong in the process.

So the timeline, skill and money involve is alot higher to enjoy in music. and endpoint sounding is acceptable too.

This is my founding. Single Server done right sound better than just any machine to an endpoint.

But Double the Good server will sound better than a single server.

5 minutes ago, motberg said:

I have been using the 210W ATX Teradak unit nearly 24/7 for about 3 years with no problems, all SSD's and the PPA card are on separate LPS's and the server has no MB fans and no video card... I do have a small LPS driven computer cooling fan in place near the LPS fins for summer days when ambient is over 30C or so.. I am also using Teradak's to power 2 Uptone LPS-1's, a bunch of cooling fans, and with some tube preamp/buffers in an environment often well over 30C ambient without a single failure... I also found that a better Teradak (The DC30 range and up) when followed inline with an iFi DC iPurifier has a sound quality generally similar to the Uptone LPS-1.  

The low voltage might work better, but I’m not aware they make a 210w atx LPS. I been working on 400w and up. Might have to try this one. But not sure same result will come. http://www.teradak.com/products/55.html

I do own the trifecta setup currently.

yes, I have install rock on non nuc setup and it work also. Sure it doesn’t  guarantee  it is on your own risk. 

Just for me. I would still going to use mini-itx setup over NUC. 

As for USB Ethernet on NUC would it better better to run the usb ethernet over txusbultra. Just a thought.

However, both have Pro and Con. so pick what best fit per case.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:55 AM, ismewor said:

i just place an order for the audio router from this new company www.thelinearsolution.com they seem to be very knowledgeable in what they are doing. And i gave the same idea to them and see what their reply are and i will keep you guys posted.

Just to follow up on the Linear ATX solution. Sam at TLS got back to me and they are working on one actually. the voltage is going to be around 600-800W he said and it will be more like a 7-9 Rail setting. He said they been working on this for almost 2 years and it is pretty close to production release. he said once the spec available will updated on the site or email to me.  i already replied i will be the first one on the list. 

1 hour ago, Johnseye said:

What would you do with 800W and 9 rails?  That's a lot of power.

That might just be enough, and I think 7 tails would be perfect .

I agree, just ridiculous and moving in the wrong direction.  Besides it still doesn't deal with the issue of the mobo itself and internal switching of power.  Which to me is the bigger issue than an ATX supply.

Can you be more specific on moving to the wrong direction, and why it doesn’t deal with mobo issue and which internal switching you are refer to?