IGNORED

Denafrips R2R DAC (plays 512 DSD) reviewed as giant killer

Hi All,

I have the 'new' DENAFRIPS Terminator as shipped with the 'new' DSP Board and have one question regarding 'Duel AES/EBU'.  Seems the highest PCM sample rate for 'all other inputs' (S/PDIF) is 192 does that mean Duel AES/EBU is also limited to 192 sample rate?  If so, why is Dual AES/EBU offered as single AES/EBU supports the same, 192 sample rate?

Thanks

On 1/5/2020 at 3:19 PM, Cyrus said:

@Ivanaudio  Congratulations on your Terminator.

192 kHz is the max for all inputs (PCM).

Dual AES/EBU is so that you can have separate Right/Left Channel Inputs, however each is also capped at 192 kHz.

Sadly, that's not how dCS claims to dodual AES/EBU (one AES/EBU per channel, left and right).

They use some other of splitting the hi-rez stream but do use dual AES/EBU to double the normally limited sampling rate of AES/EBU S/PDIF.

6 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

Have you looked at pro audio to address what you want to achieve?

All I want to do is take advantage of the DENAFRIPS Terminator's dual AES/EBU input feature by hooking it up to a dCS Network Bridge.

But not going to drop $$$ on a dCS Network Bridge until I am sure it will work

https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/products/network-bridge

They aren't cheap, but then nothing made by dCS is.

Good news is that there is an open standard for dual AES/EBU but who knows if it's the same for all DACs and Streamers which use it?

• 1 month later...

First off, you are sending money to Singapore, not China.

And yes, Mike was getting a small cut on everything he 'sold' but in truth he did not stock product and just shifted the $$$$ to Singapore and kept a few $$$ for himself.

What he WOULDN'T agree to do for Alvin, or so he told me, was lug equipment to reviewers and shows, all for that few $$$.

I bought my Terminator from Mike just a few days before (or after?) he bailed.

Ended up waiting a long while as I got one of the VERY first delivered with the new DSP board.

Would have loved to have Mike in the loop for support, especially if I ever have to do a firmware upgrade on my own.

That he remains bitter after the breakup is sad but not surprising.

Terminator is still a great DAC, but to make money Mike has to sell stuff at 2-3 times the Terminators price, which might explain his need to rant.

23 minutes ago, Dev said:

Firmware upgrade is not that hard as you would think. You need a Windows computer or laptop and a USB cable (which you would already have if you are using the USB input of the Termi). There are lot of folks here (and Alvin himself) can guide you through this.

HA!

I read the instructions and can assure you it would be hard for me.

The DAC I owned prior to the Terminator was an Audio-GD Master 7 which had an even more complex method of doing firmware upgrades, also required a Wndows computer (which I have not touched in 10+ years and own ZERO of) and a 'box' of some kind that I would have had to find on eBay.

And, of course, King Wa's English skills resemble my skills in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

So yes, I'm better off with the Terminator but still....

57 minutes ago, luisma said:

or maybe he wasn't getting enough discounts on his prices from Vinshine, true is Vinshine appointed him as Denafrips official service center, I understand that in the long run commercially maybe it wasn't attractive to him, no need to bash the product you have been selling for that reason, and yes I followed his videos and he was praising always the Terminator (like others do) for a good reason, it is an excellent DAC.

I understand you could get upset at the ways things works in China (I can certainly relate) but no need to be unprofessional and take it on the product to discredit the reseller which IMO is a great guy.

Honestly I am surprised by Mike's reaction, I had a better "professional" impression of him.

He wasn't getting any 'discount' at all as he was not a 're-seller'.

Everything he sold was drop-shipped from Asia.  Mine came direct from Hong Kong even though I sent my $$$ PayPal 'Friends and Family' directly to him.

When last I talked to he it seemed he really hoped to use his time with DENAFRIPS to built a loyal clientele of audiophiles that he could also sell other high-end products to.

Maybe that didn't work out?