IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 11:22 PM, Speedskater said:

But having the DC supply common or audio circuit common connected to the AC outlet is bad. These grounds must be kept inside the chassis(s).

Hi Speed skater, can you elaborate on this? I am not sure i onderstand what you mean with "common"

14 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Because the word 'ground' has so many different meaning, circuit common is specific.

The DC supply 0V can be connected to the inside of the chassis. The chassis is probably connected to the Safety Ground. But you should not run an insulated wire from the DC 0V out to the Safety Ground.

Just because there is continuity from one Ground to another, does not make them the same Ground.

I understandy youruse of common.

Whether the chassis is connected to safety ground is a dangerous assumption.

With electronics with a 2-prong mains plug it is not.

Whether it is connected to the common as you defined it and if so how is another thing you should not assume.

Connecting the chassis (case) if it is metal to safety ground (the thirth prong on the mains plug) is a must. This also implies the requirement that the safety ground on the outlet is proper functioning.

In case of a Netgear switch i have it is not. (2 prong plug) Thus i need to create a connection to safety ground.

In other words you have to check.

18 hours ago, Speedskater said:

On attaching Safety Grounds, commons and shields

Neil Muncy(RIP) wrote his AES paper on these almost 25 years ago, but there is still much confusion.

a] Safety Ground: is attached to the chassis near where the AC cord enters the chassis.

b] audio circuit common: is attached to the chassis at a single point near the input connectors.

c] DC supply common: is attached to the chassis at the same single point as the audio circuit common.

d] cable shield: is attached to the chassis at it's chassis connector. Experts have different view-points has to whether both ends or one end of the shield should be attached.

Indeed, correct. Especially forclow freq noise,

3 hours ago, Speedskater said:

Not just at low frequencies, at all frequencies.

Jim Brown, EMI/RFI guru writes:

Antenna Action The most fundamental cause of interference to other systems is the fact that the wiring for those systems, both inside and outside the box, are antennas. We may call them "audio cables" or "speaker cables" or "DC supply cables" or "AC cords" or printed circuit traces,but Mother Nature knows that they are antennas! And Mother Nature always wins the argument.

In a paper from Bill Whitlock on grounding of 2012, and another paper i have not yet found back, a clear distinction is made between low and high frequency behaviour. 

Bill does pay a tribune to Neil Muncy. https://centralindianaaes.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/indy-aes-2012-seminar-w-notes-v1-0.pdf