IGNORED

FORGETTING the Digital to Analog conversion part, what is BEST Digital source?

12 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

True, but I do this for myself and not for others. If anyone is interested, I'll share my findings, but these obviously don't reach the status of proof positive (or negative :)). I'm not an EE, but I do have formal training in electronics, computer, and chip design. When I find something that doesn't agree with my understanding of how things work, I get excited, not upset. It's an opportunity to learn something new. I see too many here that just want to prove their viewpoint at all costs. I'm much more interested in a deeper understanding.

That's a marvellous world view. However, I can't help noticing that many people with a very sound grasp of electronics nevertheless have a lack of interest in the science involved in hearing, which is of course perceptual science/psychoacoustics/the psychology of hearing. If every time they hear something which your doesn't agree with their understanding of "how things work" , they assume that the answer lies in electronics then they are just going to go round in circles. 

Of course if they have found this thing using structured tests, so be it. But if they have found it by sighted listening tests then the answer will almost certainly lie in perceptual science. We need to let go of the idea that what we hear is purely the result of a sound pressure wave input. The very slightest acquaintance with perceptual science should get rid of this.

You are not a sound quality measurement device

21 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Of course. Here's something I said a bit earlier in this thread when talking about blind tests:

It seems we are in agreement. I suppose the point I was making is that one very rarely encounters events which cannot be explained by our current understanding of how things work.  As you pointed out ealier most results of sighted listening experience are explicable without recourse to any hypothesis about the DUT 

1 hour ago, Fokus said:

This is the first time in my 27 years on audio newsgroups that I can reply to a posting with nothing more than ... my signature.

Happy New Year, Mr O: always a pleasure. I seem to remember that there is a technical distinction in perceptual science between illusion and hallucination- is it down to whether it is a result of a properly working system or not?.
Incidentally, your signature for some reason makes me think of Munch's Scream

On 1/19/2018 at 10:17 PM, fas42 said:

A "properly working system" throws up an immensely impressive illusion, one which includes all the intensity and "vibe" of the "real thing" - anything less in capability couldn't even be called a hallucination ... perhaps a good analogy would be a very young member of your family trying to show you magic tricks, that he's learning from a book - you hide your smiles behind your hand, as he fumbles through the moves  ...

Err sorry: I meant to ask in the context of the distinction between an illusion and a hallucination whether the former may be a the result of properly working perceptual system.