IGNORED

? on Itunes labeling for files ripped from DVD-A

DavidK

I have successfully ripped WAVs from DVD-A discs using DVD-A Explorer. Song name imports, but I can not figure out how to get the artist name, album and cover art into iTunes as well as get Itunes to separate the songs to the proper album

What I have tried;

1. Added the WAVs into the Library then renamed the folders with the artist name and album - no luck

2- Converted said WAVs To IAFF than had iTunes get album art - no luck

3- copied the IAFF files to the hard drive and put them in a album name folder in an artist name folder then added to library - no luck

Any one tell me what I am missing?

THANKS in advance!

If AIFF then what I do is first go to FLAC and use MP3TAG to do all the tagging and album art (as well as rename the files so tradck numbers, etc are in the file name...easier then to manipulate in Itunes if you use WAV...see next point). Then convert to AIFF (there's probably a straighjter path but I want the FLAC files for archive anyway).

If WAV, then you should use iTunify (a MAC-only app) to help tag because WAV has no native metadata support. With the help of Geoff (silverlight's) wonderful cookbook primer on it I have moved all my iTunes stuff to WAV (cuz I like the sonics better) and kept the tags and album art. It's a process that I may go ahead and publish (with Geoff's approval) over on Audio Circle or here in some Wiki maybe. It also involves using the slick Mac app called CoverArtserver that intercepts itunes album art calls and grabs Amazon album art for WAV files.

Net/net, unless you are a dyed-in-the-wool WAV fanatic, go AIFF or Apple Lossless for iTunes...way easier. :)

Sounded like the simplest method was the 2nd since my files are already WAV. I downloaded ITunify and looked at the online instructions, but can't get the tags to work. Would it be possible for you to walk me through it over the phone? I can PM me my number or vice versa.

(it's a word doc, complete with screenshots, etc.). Them if you stumble, we can chat about the trouble...but I think you'll figure it out. His guide is very thorough.

The real trick in WAV tagging is to make sure you have a copy of the album already tagged by MP3 or something, then use iTunify to copy the tags from the temporary MP3 version to the WAV version (and later deleting the cheapo mp3).

So if you have access to MP3TAg or one of those, create a copy of the album that is in a format that iTunes can read (like mp3) with the tags, then use iTunify.

I found a low-tech but easy solution. Select all the tracks in the album, right click and choose get info. Add the artist and album name and it shows up for all songs. Selecting just one song allows you to customize the tags for that song.

Thanks to all for your help and time!!!!!!!