IGNORED

WS 2016 Gumby Driver Problem

Manusmann

Hi all. I have been running AO with Windows 10 (with dac drivers installed) and made the leap to check out WS 2016. The problem is that I can't get the drivers for my Schiit Gumby DAC installed. Even with earlier driver versions, I get the message " CMEDIA USB2.0 Audio Device  ! Don't support this platform".  Same result and message using the ST driver helper.

Everything else was ok with the installation on WS2016. Any suggestions on how to get the drivers installed would be appreciated. Thanks,  Dennis

I'm running AO on WS 2012R2 with a Schiit Eitr that I'm pretty sure uses the same drivers as the Gumby. I had what sounds like the same problem as you trying to install the driver. I finally got it working by using the steps here:

"I've successfully installed a driver. In my case, for win2012r2, I used the Gen 2/Gen 5 1.16 driver for win 8/7. In jriver it shows up as a wasapi driver but at least I can play music. I'll play around more later and see if I can figure out how to get ASIO working. I tried the Schiit ASIO driver but so far I couldn't get it to install. 

I selected the Eitr in device manager and selected "update driver software". Then "browse my computer for driver software". Next I selected "let me pick from a list....". For my previous failed attempts I had been using the "search for driver software in this location" option. I think this is the crucial difference. Then in the next window, I selected "have disk" and browsed to the .inf file in the 1.16\win81\softwaredriver\driver folder (CMUACWO.inf). From there I had a couple different warnings but just chose "ok" and the driver installed! Hopefully this will work for others using the same procedure but maybe try the "Gen 3 Drivers for Yggdrasil" for yggy instead of the driver I used for Eitr.

So not total success yet but I'm at least able to listen to music for the night using Wasapi in gui mode for now. Baby steps for now."

That's from a post on page 6 of the Schiit Eitr thread in the DAC forum. Hopefully that will work for you. In a subsequent post I found that kernel streaming was installed as well as WASAPI, but no ASIO. I've been using kernel streaming with no issues.

Good luck.

Thanks. The only way I could get the DAC to appear in Device Manager was to use "compatibility mode" on the driver. This resulted in "Schiit USB Audio Device" in Device Manager. However, when I try and install the drivers from there (as described above), it says that I already have the best driver installed or the platform is not supported. USB works now but no kernel or asio. I still need to get the Schiit drivers installed. The driver installed in compatibility mode sounds totally generic. Thanks again for your suggestions. Dennis

Sorry to hear you're still having a problem. I understand how frustrating this can be after going through similar experience myself.

36 minutes ago, Manusmann said:

The only way I could get the DAC to appear in Device Manager was to use "compatibility mode" on the driver.

This sounds different from my situation. The dac should show up in device manager before any driver is installed. Using "compatibility mode" is only used for the driver installation steps if required.

You can first try uninstalling the driver from device manager, then installing the new driver as I described above. If you follow the steps exactly, you shouldn't be getting any kind of message about already having the best driver installed. That message would only show up if you're letting Windows look for the driver, which is NOT what you want. 

2 hours ago, lasker98 said:

Next I selected "let me pick from a list....". For my previous failed attempts I had been using the "search for driver software in this location" option. I think this is the crucial difference. Then in the next window, I selected "have disk" and browsed to the .inf file in the 1.16\win81\softwaredriver\driver folder (CMUACWO.inf).

You'll know you're on the right track if you're able to navigate to and select the actual .inf file as described above. If you're only able to select a folder and don't see the .inf file, you've either not followed the exact same steps as me or else there is some kind of major change in WS 2016 over all previous versions of Windows (which seems highly unlikely imo).

If worse comes to worse, you can try and start from scratch to get the dac showing up in device manager by first uninstalling it in device manager, then turn off your pc, disconnect the usb cable to the dac and reboot. Check device manager to make sure it's gone completely. If it's gone then you're back to starting from scratch. Power down the pc, connect the dac with pc off, then power on your pc. If it's detected properly, you should see it in device manager with the yellow highlight beside it. Now try and install the .inf file.

Hopefully you're listening to music through your dac next time you post 9_9

• 1 month later...