IGNORED

Help choosing a 24 bit DAC for recording from vinyl

Hello,

Been reading the forums for a few evenings and have found the site helpful and interesting.

My goal is to put some of my vinyl records onto my PC and then play the lossless digital files through my strereo. I had looked at the Cambridge DacMagic, but found it did not accept 24 bit sound, but less, then upsampled it. So my question now is, what DAC would you suggest that accepts 24 bit and would be decent for playback through my system?

Currently have an HK stereo and klipsch reference speakers and will be connecting the DAC to a desktop computer running windows 7.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-ME

First things first as 24 bit playback could be moot based on how are you getting the analog signal into your computer.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your phono stage and what software are you using to log the audio?

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

I hope I'm not sounding like I'm treating you as an idiot ... but what are you trying to accomplish as your subject title indicates one thing then what the body of your message asks indicates something else?

Do you have a pile of vinyl records that you want to convert to digital files stored on your computer? If this is the case you need an ADC (analogue to digital converter).

Or, do you have a pile of files on your computer already made from vinyl which you wish to play back? If this is the case you DO need a DAC (digital to analogue converter).

Or do you need both?

In either case there is a wide range of products that could be suggested to you ... but you really need to indicate some kind of budget you are able to work to.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Goal:

1) Need to record my vinyl to my computer.

2) Want to play back the recorded vinyl from my computer through my stereo.

3) Budget was around $500, but am open to options.

Do I need both? - If recording through my sound card and converting the analogue in the PC wouldn't provide good quality, then the answer is yes. I'm also exploring sound cards, but perhaps there's a better option?

The Furutech looks promising but they are not shipping to the US yet, price is a target and not firm and no one has heard it in private conditions who can attest to it's sound.

But if all comes out well, it could be a HUGELY popular device.

No, don't run analog into your computer's sound card. Best to do the A/D outside the computer. Edirol ua-1ex works well as a budget solution (less than $100) and, at a pinch could even be used DAC. The Edirol + a DAC Magic would be within budget and could be a nice solution. EMU 0404 could also work as ADC and DAC but imo build quality is a bit rough so be careful with that one. (Mine lasted 2 days). Audacity is a good free recording app. Good luck; you can produce some great digital files if you take care with the process.

- John.

• 9 months later...

As one studies more about the specifics of sound,recording, analog vs. digital and the said recording of digital from analog it quickly becomes clear that having a good DAC (which can generally... not always... assumed to mean a good ADC and DAC), a good phono pre-amp, and good drivers for transferring the newly created digital signal to one's computer, all in a neat intelligently designed box, with minimal chance for noise or signal alteration is huge!! A $100k record player means little from a recording standpoint if you don't have a good pre-amp or DAC (ADC). I have spent the last 3 days trying to find something like this Futurtech device. It simply doesn't exist. It is the answer I have been looking for.

Plus,even if you don't care much about that little extra boost in quality over just running your sound into some line-in on a sound card, I'm sure that like, me you, you don't want to waste your life fiddling around with cables behind your computer, so there is a convenience factor too. And its portable so I can give it to other people to use or take it with me.

All the other boxes on the market I have seen either have musical instrument sound recording as the focus, or simply HD playback through a good DAC chip as the focus. The ADC recording focus on this looks divine.

but it costs more than $500...

Software: Pure Vinyl http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

Hardware: RME Fireface 400 http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fireface_400.php

and of course, my iMac. Using Pure Vinyl I do not necessarily need to use my Phonostage...

The Fireface can record and playback at a full 24/192 and has quiet enough preamps to allow sufficient gain for MC cartridges without the use of a phonostage, and without adding noise...

No electron left behind.