IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

A+3.1.1 working flawless right from the start..found the dCS Network Bridge right way and plays.  Sounds just wonderful.  

One question:  I have flagged volume to be controlled by the DAC only but the apps still show the volume control and it is workable.  Shouldn't this be muted if using the DAC only for volume control?

4 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

All of these shenanigans is why I switched to Roon. It was the best software decision I have made in a recent memory. 

Gotta question these posts which go on and on....A+ is an exceptionally written bit of software which, too my ears, sounds exceptional.    

"Just because your paranoid doesn't mean that aren't after you"

A great and significant new release and we have pages and pages of grief from a few posters who seem to have unimaginable and unsolvable problems that get posted and re-posted, ending in challenges to the software, the remote and the universe itself. 

I have ROON ROCK serving a reasonably fine system and this version of A+ is just sounding great...installed flawlessly, played straight out of the gate...sounds, in our first listen, better than a dedicated ROON ROCK.

Gotta wonder about this stuff...there is money and companies at stake and reputations can be ruined behind the anonymous veil of the internet.

• 6 months later...

I have an odd question to ask.  I am currently using ROON running on an i3 Intel NUC ROCK (Linux box) serving to a dCS Bridge then to my DAC.  

I also have a license for A+.

I am firmly convinced that A+ is a superior sounding player and when asking ROON to work with classical metadata it is apparent to me that A+ is far easier and intuitive for library management.  Odd considering that is ROON’s primary selling point.  Suspect the majority of ROON users dabble in but are not immersed in classical music and overlook failings that seem apparent to me.

So my question...the NUC is fanless and powered by a Soundbooster LPS and could, I assume, run Windows and the latest network A+ replacing ROON.  Not having used Windows for such a long period of time I am at a loss at where and how to begin.  Note the ROON ROCK OS is simply bulletproof.  I wish we had a Linux OS for A+ to run in a similar hardware environment.

Can Windows be “pared down” to eliminate unnecessary processes and, if so, is this a constant struggle to turn off auto updates and the like?  

Is there a version of Windows that is the sonic sweet spot?  Are there ancillary programs to curtail the Windows OS?

My thanks, in advance, for any thoughts may be willing to share.  

This all may be beyond my limited computer skills although I did assemble the NUC so can blunder along.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

I have found that I fall into a niche that Roon doesn't quite serve, for two reasons.

- One is that metadata is very easy for me. If I rip, it's usually automagically done for me by XLD, and downloads typically come with metadata adequate for my purposes. Anything missing can be fixed quickly with Yate. I nearly always search by artist name and album title, so my needs aren't great.

- Granted, Roon is light years ahead of any other app I can think of regarding information about music. But what I want in that area is often quirky enough that it's beyond Roon. For example, I wanted a friend to hear and compare Tom Waits' take on "Heigh Ho" with the original version from Snow White, and Roon couldn't fetch the original for us. I also find I already know much of the information I'm interested in that Roon has regarding a piece of music.

All this probably leaves me in a relatively small minority where Roon is concerned.

this is my beef...I understand there are backdoors and hallways to search out a file but if I simple search for say, Beethoven, I am given:

Beethoven

Ludwig van Beethoven

Betthoven, Ludwig van (1770-1827)

Beethoven

Looking under any one of these silos will empty the search window so if I wanted to return to search the next in the stack the list is gone.

If I attempt to edit a files' metadata within ROON there is no option to revise the Composer label so to ensure these groups named above would show under one composer name.  I understand this search can be directed to the Composer list and then searched by first letter of last name but these results bring compositions and not albums.  Just not intuitive to me.

A+ using Jud's methods and Yate for initial correction and tidying up insures clean and clear library metadata