IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Hi All,

Just a few tips that maybe someone will found useful (I am not a Pro): I am listening Kii's with MacBookPro and Roon, and I am very very happy.  However,  the best sound I heard in my room was with Melco as a source. That was a mind blowing experience. So I hope one day....

When it comes to "warm" sound, Kii's will deliver you depending on with what you feed them. I am using digital and analog inputs and if you have a bad source, Kii will not lying to you. They will show you exactly if something is wrong. Bad produced material will sound bad and that's it . I am also listening my TT via Kii's and can not be happier.

In addition, I have change the cable between the Kii's and the Control. Yes it is worth experimenting, as well as the feet under the Kii's. 

• 3 weeks later...

It is not a waste of money changing the Ethernet cables. However, playing with the Kii control and changing the power cables should be the starting point.

In addition, I have tried Wireworld Platinum USB cable from my McBookPro, but did not liked it. It muffled the sound in lower spectrum.

• 8 months later...

Just my experience after changing some cables. My combo is Chord Signature LAN with FTA Callisto USB.

I have tried Wireworld and Curious USBs, but ended up with this combination. Great value for money!

The best combination was Chord Signature LAN with Chord Sarum USB. Superb, but out of my pocket range.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using SAM Aldebaran turntable with TransFi linear tonearm, ZYX bloom R50 cartridge, CineMag step-up and EAR 834P phono! Cables are directly connected to speakers from 834P.  Very very happy with this combo.

I also use MacBookPro, but planning to upgrade to Melco.

Also end game for me after changing many components. You just hear everything and that's it. 

17 hours ago, bobfa said:

It is very interesting to see the different methods of connection.  This will take some planning.  Thank you all for the replies.  

My current turntable is a VPI traveler with a Soundsmith Carmen cartridge.  I just have a Schiit Phono stage into my AYRE AX-5 Twenty for now.   I was looking at the Sound Design Phono stage that has balanced out to do direct to the Threes.   I am sad that PS Audio has discontinued their Phono stage with ADC 

It might be nice to have some sort of passive input switch in there then I could see if I really need to keep the YGGY!

My primary digital source will be my NUC endpoint running either Roon or Sqeezelite.  .

It will be about 4 weeks till this can happen so I still have some time to develop a plan.

I am thinking to purchase this one: http://www.homehifi.co.uk/S/tc-7240.htm 

• 1 month later...

Few days ago I had a chance to try/test https://www.kempelektroniksshop.nl/blue-horizon-mains-noise-analyzer.html.

Well, the result was disappointing. Very "dirty" power, but I knew that more or less. So, the question is what you use to "clean" your AC power, and what is suitable for the Kii's? I have tried Audience Power Conditioner once and the change was positive, but not sure is the amount of change worth that amount of money. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

HI,

Maybe I miss it, but does anyone use Roon Rock with the Kiis's? On Intel Nuc or any other hardware. I have a good old MacBookPro, but to often my Mac just cannot see the Kii's!? Then I have to disconnect USB, ethernet,..., and that usually works.

Looking to purchase Melco, but currently away from my budget. Even thinking to install Rock on my Mac for testing!

Thanks

Unplugging the Control used to help but not anymore. There is no pattern, sometimes it works normally and sometimes not. So I am fad a bit. Anyhow I am thinking to "upgrade" the digital part. I have tried Melco and it sounded really good. Batter than Mac with Roon player or Amarra for example. So just wondering is it possible to get that level of SQ with Roon Rock!

• 1 year later...

Stephan, Kii's are fantastic with analog sources. I was also concerned, but actualy they proved me wrong. Very analog full, ruch sound from my analog part, which is Allnic H1201 phono, SAM Aldebaran turntable, ZYX cartridge and TransFi tonearm. Try to play with interconect from the phono preamp to Kii's!

Unfortunatelly some inexpensive ones. But I have tried good cables and yes they make a diference. Especially since, I presume, they need to be long (at least in my case). I am planning to make one with Duelund wire. Anyhow, I am more then happy with analog sound from my Kii's. So I am shure that you can get there. Before I had McIntosh with EAR 834p phono and Verity Audio speakers and Kii's give me the same analog pleasure. 

• 2 weeks later...