IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

23 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

How to put Grateful Dead into this scheme of things? As it is well know, they permitted to copy the sound from their shows from the soundboards in dedicated tapers zones and encouraged free distribution of the copies anywhere to anybody happy to listen.

This is an example of a copyright owner allowing others to freely distribute their copyrighted work.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

The law says you may make a backup copy but that does not mean you can't listen to the backup instead of the original. If that would the case, Apple Match could not adds songs in your library that you di not buy from Apple to your iCloud account.

I think most of us here on CA are listening to a copy of the original CD, rather than the actual polycarbonate disc.

16 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Wow! Really? 

Now that I have the sarcasm out of the way, look at the post above the one of mine you quoted. 

Yes, really!

BTW, my post was more an amplification of your post, rather than a rejection. Should have made it clearer :(

15 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

My legal right or not, for me, this is too strict.  To each their own.  I have retained my entire CD collection, but I have space for it.  One day I could sell it, and there's no way I'm going to delete my digital copies!

Why stop there?

You could also try expanding your library by "borrowing" CDs from an online retailer that allows returns. Unfortunately, Crutchfield doesn't seem to carry CDs...

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, DancingSea said:

Of which there seems to be a healthy contingent on CA....

I have to assume you're trolling here because anyone with a modicum of sense would realize that we are talking here about making sure that musicians are fairly compensated, not making the music industry oligarchy richer.

3 minutes ago, barrows said:

Selling your CDs and keeping and listening to the rips is illegal, it is also wrong, and it is also stealing, plain and simple.

That anyone considers this practice acceptable is sad indeed.  Our intentions and actions have repercussions far beyond what we see personally, when one holds views such as this stealing being OK, one degrades themselves and the rest of the society.

One is stealing compensation from the music business by this practice, from everyone in the music business, musicians, recording engineers, studio janitors, and on.  One cannot rightfully justify such actions by suggesting that the music business people are evil buggers.

I bank at Wells Fargo, I know they are crooks, and abusive of their customers; but that knowledge does not make it OK for me to go and rob one of their banks.

Well said!

16 minutes ago, Bystander said:

How many countries do you know where it's definitely illegal? Like... have you actually done research on this? I certainly couldn't tell you one way or another for most countries.

The existence of international copyright agreements signed by most countries of the world means that list of countries where it's legal is going to be pretty small. 

I'm guessing that we have few members from the countries who aren't signatories to one of more of these agreements:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_international_copyright_agreements

16 minutes ago, Bystander said:

Which treaty in particular would necessarily prohibit the mentioned sequence of actions? I'm not sure what to do with that link. 

The Berne Convention establishes basic international standards for copyright protection including the exclusive right of the copyright holder to control the reproduction of a copyrighted work. If a country has signed the Berne Convention, I would assume that transferring ownership of a music CD to someone else while retaining a copy of it is illegal in that country.