IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

14 hours ago, Grayson64 said:

On the keep side, I have spent several decades accumulating the collection. I am reluctant to let them go in case I might need them again.

On the get rid of side, for the vast majority of the collection, I seldom use the actual CD.  Just listen to the digital copy.  For all practical purposes, I live in a "playlist world" where I seldom listen to all the contents of a single CD. 

I see a lot of hate being displayed towards this question if not directly at you.  The most responsible action would be to palletize and shrink wrap them inside their jewel cases and put them into storage.  Alternately, nobody here would raise an eyebrow if you were contemplating getting rid of them all and replacing the stuff you listen to on your computer with a higher resolution format.  

You asked for thoughts and those are two I think worth considering.  

Oh boy did I screw up then.  I looked at a dictionary in a coffee shop today without paying the good folks who made it 30+ years ago.  Am I legally bound to go buy the newest edition?  Never been one to fall astray of the law and this greatly concerns me you could level a charge.  

Please advise.

The point was there are limits to how far you can apply the logic being angrily expressed  and laws, new or outdated, being dragged up.  If you asked anyone who makes dictionaries, who is very likely to lobby for regulation if they feel a case could be made, the answer is always going to be one sided.  No matter how many copies they have previously sold or the market for future ones.  If anything the higher a profit margin they've known the more viciously they are likely to react.  

This is a very specific example related to why people stopped buying dictionaries or encyclopedias long before the internet age.  Much like the demise of the record store, greed on the part of those who publish them pushed customers away.  Which isn't to say they didn't like dictionaries or music.  They didn't like being sold the same thing over and over when they were only going to use a small portion of it.  Be that a few pages or a single.  

This is a market reaction not a personal opinion.  It examines a small portion of the question.   

Don't forget nightstand/traveling dictionaries with just the popular words and spiced up definitions.  Conveniently sized to fit into the box of your word based board game of choice for when it goes over to the neighbors for game night.  Never mind they have a full size one politely left on the shelf.  Got to work every angle in turn with just enough variety to seem new and recognizable enough to be easily accepted,  

On the whole I think the responses @Grayson64 got were lacking the friendlier response they deserved.  There are a lot of sticky issues along the outer edges of behavior where entertainment media is being greatly devalued.  Loosing the dogs of war on some guy in his armchair contemplating the future of honest goods lacks a great deal of merit.  Society has long since evolved a way to deal with this and it is moving them along the chain of capitalism.  Half price book stores and CD warehouses keep a lot of usable goods out of the landfill and provide employment.  The good outweighs the bad when you consider some HS kid getting to listen to music and engage wide ranging interests that will help form the foundation of their adult life.  If not gain a lifelong interest we should be embracing.  By stopping at suggesting Grayson should do the adult thing and let bygones be bygones.