IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

On 7/29/2017 at 11:23 PM, sdolezalek said:

Simple question: If you destroy or give away the CD's, how could you ever prove that you have a valid license to the digital copies you kept of those CD's?  Even if you kept all your receipts for the purchases, how could you prove that you didn't sell the CD's?

Simple question: who is asking for valid licenses for his music? Can you provide me some names or organizations who are planning on raiding his computer and his home, demanding to see proof before he's allowed to listen? 

OP, do whatever you want to do. If you want to keep them, go for it. If you want to get rid of them, go for it. No one in the real world cares [or knows], and no one in the real world has any authority to do anything even if they did [they don't]. 

On 8/3/2017 at 6:01 AM, Jud said:

Quite clear in the UK.  Different countries have different laws. 

Which country has the most "ethical" laws? Which country is the most "right" and which country is the most "wrong" on this topic? Anyone? 

On a side note, should buying used CDs be illegal? I've seen it claimed amongst music fans that the used market shouldn't exist because it's morally/ethically/financially wrong. Garth Brooks fought against the used market as well. Should one refrain from buying CDs as it enables possible illegal/unethical behavior [by the previous owners]?  

How far down this rabbit hole can we go? 

So, just going on the idea here that digital files should be discarded after CDs are sold because it enables you to listen to them [and that's a no-no]....does that mean I should wipe songs from my memory after I sell the CDs? Should I not sing them or listen to them in my mind/imagination because the artist is not being paid? Am I morally wrong here and unethical to memorize music notes and song lyrics and melodies and vocals? 

8 hours ago, Teresa said:

I agree!

They do shut music torrent sites down, however they reopen with a slightly different address. The problem is most of these sites are in Russia.

What if an item is completely out of print, and the rights holders aren't making any money off it, and the family/performer isn't either? And you can get the albums on torrent because you can't legally purchase a new copy? Should the torrent still be shut down? 

If this issue is as distressing in the real world as it seems to be in some of the forum's members' worlds, how come whenever I hear of a band break up or stop performing, it's never because they don't make enough money from CD sales, it's always because of other factors? (drugs, personality differences, other interests, etc.) Are the members of the bands just simply misinformed about where their finances need to be coming from and the types of stresses that lead to their break ups?

Basically, what I'm saying, is that in 2017, this whole discussion and topic is completely meaningless because that's not how the industry or the world operates now, and it never will again. Any problems people have with ripping/disposing/reselling of CDs simply exist in their own minds and don't exist in the real world.

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

But until the laws are changed, if you sell the CD the only way to be sure you still have the rights to play the music is to buy another copy of the same CD. :)

-Paul 

Who, besides on this forum and the Hoffman forums, are sitting around having a debate and a moral wrestle with themselves/others over the fact they may or may not be legally able to be playing a file?

Who else does this keep up at night? Who is sitting around hesitating before they hit "play" and dreading the fact they may make the wrong decision?

7 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

No one said a purchaser should have to worry whether the seller has deleted the rips from a CD they are selling. They are selling the CD and any license that would have allowed to have the rips in the first place.

Fair enough, but there are people out there who believe the used market for CDs should not exist. I don't have any problem with the used market or people ripping and selling. 

8 hours ago, Paul R said:

And your point is - what exactly?   That if someone takes care to ensure their music collection is legal, they are wasting their time? 

Yes, that's a GREAT way to put it. Also, fretting over whether someone else's collection is legal is also a big waste of time. Also, it unnecessarily causes fighting on the forums.