IGNORED

Getting rid of CD's?

There are several large "used CD/DVD" stores in my state.   They sell used CDs, DVDs, vinyl, games...etc.  I would be surprised if the artist or the  label receives any revenue from the sale of these items.

As for the record companies, when they give reparations to the families of all the old blues artists they ripped off over the last 105 years, then we can talk about who owns my CD collection.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

10 minutes ago, joelha said:

The companies who sell used CD's had to pay to get them.

Copied music deprives them of an opportunity to make a profit on the product they purchased.

Joel

Yes, the resellers are paying the general public who bring in old/used items.  As a side point, I am sure some of the CDs were copied before sale to the reseller.   I do not see how the artist gets anything out of this trade.  The artist only gets paid for the initial (new) sale.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

1 minute ago, foodfiend said:

That is why I think the music labels are trying hard to reinvent the whole revenue model here. The old single copy of media does not really make sense in the digital age, where digital copies are easily made if there is no DRM present (and consumers all abhor DRM). The whole streaming model removes any ownership, and your ability to stream the music is tied to your account.

At least, in the case of the "used CD/DVD" stores, the previous owner of the CD/DVD theoretically has to get rid of any digital copies they have of the CD/DVD after selling to the store. That single licence to listen/watch then gets moved to another person. The problem is that there are people out there who buy a CD, rip it, and then sell it off (or worse, return it to the store for money back), and retain the digital copy.

Streaming circumvents the issue with illegal digital copies, since you no longer have a file to copy, and you officially no longer own the right for replay, except through an account.

@foodfriend.   Good post.  How much can the average middle income family afford for this brave new streaming world?

Cell phone = monthly charge

Internet = monthly charge

Hulu = monthly charge

Amazon Prime = monthly charge

NetFlix = monthly charge

Pandora = 

Tidal =

Whatever =

ya da ya da =

5 minutes ago, joelha said:

The point is the ethics involved in copying music.

Whether it's the artist, the used CD vendor or both, someone is likely to be treated unfairly.

Joel

I find the use of the word "ethics" in relation to the music business to be insanely funny.

13 minutes ago, Grayson64 said:

Well, when I started this thread, it was not meant to generate such a

lengthy discussion on copyright law and ethical handling of music content. It was really about the concept of collecting and letting go.  But since it has gone that direction, might as well put in my two cents.

My view is very simple. I paid for the CD's; every one of them. The artist has been paid.  What I do with them after that is up to me.  Nothing ethical about that. If I was intentionally buying, then returning immediately after recording it for my collection, maybe I would have some ethical problem.  But that is not the case here. I paid, made a copy for my JRiver installation and then put the CD on a shelf for the next multiple number of years. Now it is a matter of how large a physical collection I want and/or need.

I suppose Sony can come after me if they are so inclined.  I care little about them.  As to the artist, I will sleep like a babe in the proverbial woods.  They got their fair share out of me.

In any case, I have decided to keep most of the CD's, but get rid of the ones I don't like as much.  The digital copies will stay in my library, but the discs are headed to the local public library so anyone else can listen if they like.

In my case, the artist was paid more than once for the same music:  (only one example)

Exile on Main Street:

Vinyl, CD, SACD, imported Japanese flat transfer........   Mr. Jagger can thank me later.

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

credit card companies were forced to take away the statement "it is illegal to tamper with this envelope" when people would send back empty letters to make the company pay for the postage....

~  I still do that.  I put a pizza flyer or two in the envelope included with insurance advertisements.