IGNORED

Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital: MQA HW decoding at reasonable cost

15 hours ago, RicaNeaga said:

Thanks, although there's an option like this one - MicroUSB to 5.5/2.1mm DC Barrel Jack Adapter - I'm inclined to buy this LPS (79$ toroidal with micro-USB power cable) instead of probably the best one (on the long term, 99$, suitable for any upgrades to any other DAC) and also instead of probably the wisest choice (57$, cheapest talema LPS also with USB).

I'm going to think for it another day, maybe you'll have different opinions, and then I'm going to order one of those chinese LPSes.

Also, since I have active monitors that are very sensitive to any electrical noise, most likely I'm going to use iDefender3.0 directly linked also to the LPS, so the DAC will be fed only via the USB port (with both data and power), I think this would be the best option, however I'll also test the LPS linked directly to the DAC.

In the end, I'm also considering to buy only for testing iPurifier3 (and most likely just return it before 30 days have passed since its acquisition), probably only iDefender would make a day/night difference, but I'm very curious if the sound would  really be ''cleaner'' also with iPurifier (the complete link would be PC - iDefender & LPS - good USB cable - iPurifier - DAC). Hopefully in about a month I'll solve this puzzle and you can be sure I'll write here my findings.

Thanks again and feel free to judge those LPSes above :D 

The TeraDak one should be fine - it uses a different transformer depending on your country's mains voltage. I just don't like the way it's put together internally, but that's probably just a cosmetic thing.

The Talema one looks good (your 'wisest choice'). It's also usefully has two 5V outputs so makes connectivity a little easier.

The Nobsound one is essentially a bench power supply with variable voltage. Might be useful if you want to power DACs with a different inout voltage in the future, but I'd be petrified of accidentally turning the voltage knob and blowing the DAC!

52 minutes ago, left channel said:

No it will not, sorry. John says that would have required increasing the size and price, so he decided to decode MQA only via USB. 

Okay, thanks. I was toying with the idea of buying one to try out with my Bluesound Node 2i streamer which only has coax digital out.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

But Node2 can do decoding instead?

S/PDIF on the S2D is not so great though, so better used through USB only.

Yes it can but I don't like the analogue audio it produces. I did try again to listen to it a few days ago but connected my Topping D50 back in, as there's a significant improvement in the audio. Hence, I'm currently using the coax digital out on the Node 2i as the input to the D50.

The S2D would work with my desktop system via USB with no issues, but I really wanted to try it with my bedside headphones system that uses the Node 2i as a Tidal transport due to the higher quality sound (mainly due to the Amiron Home headphones.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Doesn't it output the decoded data also through S/PDIF? Or does the S/PDIF go muted when playing MQA?

My D50 external DAC shows 96kHz when I play an MQA track via the Node 2i - suggesting that the Tidal app within the Node 2i is doing the first unfold (as is normal) and sending the resulting bitstream to to my D50 via the coax output.

There is a setting for the Node 2i to specify an external MQA DAC. I would imagine if I set that then the Node 2i shouldn't decode anything and send everything out of its output ports (USB, coax and optical). I'd love to try this out but the price point of the S2D is a bit above my 'disposable' budget where I'd be happy to take a hit if it doesn't work out.

• 4 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Miska said:

You'll get better quality by using MQA software decoding and using for example sharp filter setting in the DAC. Forget the stupid MQA lights (indicating worst possible quality). :D

Hi Miska, could you elaborate on what you mean by a 'sharp filter setting in the DAC' please? On my Topping D50 DACs I have seven filters that could use (after the Tidal app does the first unfold and sends a 88.2/96kHz bitstream to the SAC):

1. Apodising fast roll-off filter

2. Minimum phase slow roll-off filter

3. Minimum phase fast roll-off filter

4. Linear phase slow roll-off filter

5. Linear phase fast roll-off filter

6. Brick wall filter

7. Corrected minimum phase fast roll-off filter

Which of those would be classed as 'sharp'? Apologies for the off-topic question, but I guess the S2D would also have a similar filters list. I've been listening with filter 5 for months but have recently started using filter 7 which does sounds rather beautiful.