IGNORED

iTunes Album Art Problem

On 7/11/2017 at 8:22 PM, DougAdams said:

In my experience: The longer you possess audio files with metadata, the more likely you are apt to see corruption as a matter of course as you copy from file system to file system, process with various operating systems, add/remove metadata, use with various apps (including iTunes) and so on. If you have many, many files then you are even more likely to see this simply because you have a bigger pool. I get lots of email that contain the phrases "carefully for many years", "over 50 thousand files", and "corruption".

It is really easy to corrupt an audio file's metadata. One bad byte is all it takes.

On the other hand, if you are seeing consistent and reproducible problems, then that is a different story.

Yes, but... I have a large iTunes library, and I rarely see artwork corruption. When I do, I delete the artwork cache folder, and that sorts it out. Perhaps it has something to do with the way Photoshop resizes the files, or the way the files are exported from Photoshop. I've ripped thousands of CDs, and have honestly never seen this problem. I do see it sometimes on artwork that came with files I bought, but not with files where I've added artwork myself. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.