IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

On 7/30/2018 at 12:18 PM, flkin said:

The sMS-200 is device that converts ethernet signals to USB signals that a DAC can read. So basically it's a mini-computer.

The sMS-200ultra is the same sMS-200 but with a better clock board inside. It's sound quite a bit better due to this. A sMS-200ultra with BNC clock input allows an even higher quality external clock signal to be fed into the sMS-200ultra and used instead of it's own internal clock. Again another jump in performance.

So you actually don't need the BNC external clock connector to use the device as it's already quite a bit better than the original sMS-200. But if you want an option to play with external clocks in the future, then it's a good idea to have it. External clocks and connection cables are pretty expensive and can cost quite a bit more than the sMS-200ultra so be warned!

I'am also interested in an external word clock!

There are different offers. On Ebay there is a used Antelope 10M Clock with two 75ohm outputs, of course there is an offer to the sCLK-OCX10 master clock, but very expensive - beside my sms-200ultra and the txb-ultra there is a additional sps-500 needed to setup the "4" devices. A alternative master-clock was offered from my dealer.. it calls 10M NCTR-Clock with internal Power Supply (230V) for 1500€.

Are there differences between the master-clock - 10Mhz??

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gordec,

i think that no direct Ethernet connection to the router is a problem.

I use the Sotm sm200ultra in LAN-cabled connection to my fritz-box 7490 router.

There is a USB-connected HDD to the router configured as NAS and i have no gaps in sound (LAN)

You should have to connect to internet only for updates to the sotm, i think.

Before new cabling,  i used the devolo-LAN-500 connectors, but they were not stable -  LAN-cabling with additional G-Bit Hub works very good ;)

maximum traffic to the router is 30Mbit/s upload from PC to internal router using HQ-Player.

..sorry about my english..

Thomas

• 3 months later...

I am in use of sms200ultra and txb-ultra and sps500  - my next step is an external word clock. there is a mutec ref 10 at high-end-broker (new) for 3t euro. I think there is no need of the SOtM-Clock-Cables (700$) - you can get BNC cables for 9,90€ -

I want to connect the external word clock additional to my pink-faun-i²s-bridge - looking for a way to realize..

• 1 month later...

I tried to install the offline update to V 0.4.5 in January. File-Size of bin was 7.761.921 kb, but had problems with squeezelite and library-config.

Everytime i updated offline i spend a new sd-card for it (as backup)

Since latest version from sotm, i took the older sd-card with version before 4.5 and the online-update was no problem to 4.59.

Hello Kopelli,

yes, the HDD connected via usb is a good solution. I used this before with  WD Elements.

Now, i am in use of a NAS-Server - i think sound quality is the same - the server is a 4-bay NAS - OS is Freenas - SOtm-Config only allows Windows-Verification - Unix NFS shares doesn't work - only Windows SMB shares.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know the version of my SOtM SMS200ultra. It is powered by the sPS-500 power supply but not 24/7.

It is getting hand-warm after 6 hours playing.

Last week i bought the network-switch tcxo from PPA. It runs togeher with a 5V/25w PSU from Zero Zone. I am not sure as well to run 24/7. After switch-on it takes about 1 hour or longer to sound perfect.

2 hours ago, Zauurx said:

I would like a start up with some services running (NAA or Roon) without going through the web interface to start.

I am in use of the HQPlayer Desktop3 client on Windows-PC. You only have to start the HQPlayer NAA service over eunhasu-web-interface and select the ipv4-network-interface in HQ-Player-Desktop settings.