IGNORED

HomePod & the Future of local files on iTunes

I am concerned that Apple's pushing of Apple music in the HomePod presentation is a sign of worse days ahead for people who store music files locally.

For me, the HomePod and AirPlay 2 were the most exciting news of the day. However, there are far more questions than answers.

My whole audio setup is based on a local iTunes libraries that push music to multiple AirPort Express and AirPlay devices. I use the Apple Remote app to control iTunes on the PC. I love it.

Is it perfect? Nope. Volume controls have always been wonky.... A shelf stereo system with AirPlay frequently falls off the network.... the Apple Remote App could use some TLC from Apple... And iTunes itself has been going backwards in functionality.

So what does AirPlay 2 bring to the table for this type of usage scenario? Who knows. The only real thing we saw in the demo was volume controls moved to the iOS 11 Home app.

Is Apple moving away from local file system music? Will there still be a Remote App to control iTunes? Will iTunes be able to push to the HomePod? Will Apple update the AirPort firmware? (I doubt it). What about folks with AirPlay bake into their existing tuners?

My hope is that AirPlay 2 usage details were not mentioned simply because this was a developer keynote and they are really pushed for time.

If anyone finds anything notable news about this on Twitter, etc, please post here.

-- Bryan