IGNORED

Managing Hi-Res Files

Not sure whether I should post in this thread or an iOS one ... but my question is how to manage hi-res files (24 bit, 96kHz across devices. I can put them in iTunes on my Mac (as ALAC) and play them through my desktop DAC/AMP. But when I try to sync them to my iPhone I get a message to say the files were not sync'd because the iPhone cannot play them.

Is there a way to get around this? For example, what if I want to store them on my iPhone but play them via an external DAC/AMP (like the Chord Hugo for example). Or, as a fallback, can I keep duplicates of them in MP3 format in the same iTunes library and just sync those files?

The simplest, of course, would be if iOS could handle the files in the first place. Is this likely to be on the product roadmap?

Many thanks

There are some third-party player apps that can play them back; or at least send out their data so a device can play them. You need to add the music to those apps via iTunes' File Sharing. You cannot easily sync them.

I wouldn't expect Apple to support high-res music any time soon. The hardware on iOS devices is limited to 48 kHz.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Not sure whether I should post in this thread or an iOS one ... but my question is how to manage hi-res files (24 bit, 96kHz across devices. I can put them in iTunes on my Mac (as ALAC) and play them through my desktop DAC/AMP. But when I try to sync them to my iPhone I get a message to say the files were not sync'd because the iPhone cannot play them.

Is there a way to get around this? For example, what if I want to store them on my iPhone but play them via an external DAC/AMP (like the Chord Hugo for example). Or, as a fallback, can I keep duplicates of them in MP3 format in the same iTunes library and just sync those files?

The simplest, of course, would be if iOS could handle the files in the first place. Is this likely to be on the product roadmap?

Many thanks

I doubt that Apple will enable this. For one thing the file sizes are so much bigger. I would use the option in iTunes to convert higher bit-rate songs to x kbps AAC.

I doubt that Apple will enable this. For one thing the file sizes are so much bigger. I would use the option in iTunes to convert higher bit-rate songs to x kbps AAC.

Thanks Otto (and Kirk) for your responses. I do not want to convert the files from ALAC as I cannot selectively convert the hi-res files alone, and it would mean downgrading the red book files as well, as far as I can see.

There are a lot of sites offering hi-res files these days. This one is a boutique with some great music: http://www.soundliaison.com/

Seems a shame to compromise all the effort they have made just because Apple is behind the pace.

Thanks Otto (and Kirk) for your responses. I do not want to convert the files from ALAC as I cannot selectively convert the hi-res files alone, and it would mean downgrading the red book files as well, as far as I can see.

There are a lot of sites offering hi-res files these days. This one is a boutique with some great music: http://www.soundliaison.com/

Seems a shame to compromise all the effort they have made just because Apple is behind the pace.

Hi Robert,

Apple's thinking seems to be that hi-res is wasted (and a waste of space) on portable devices. Are you planning on using your iPhone (or equivalent) a lot with hi-res, given that you have hi-res capability in your main system? If portable hi-res is important I'd be looking at the AK Jr http://andreweverard.com/2015/06/17/review-ak-jr-astell-kerns-new-kid-on-the-block/.

You did ask about keeping MP3 duplicates and surely on-the-fly conversion to 256 AAC would be a better solution?

BTW I'd like a Hugo but can't justify the cost, no matter how good it is!

Hi Robert,

Apple's thinking seems to be that hi-res is wasted (and a waste of space) on portable devices. Are you planning on using your iPhone (or equivalent) a lot with hi-res, given that you have hi-res capability in your main system? If portable hi-res is important I'd be looking at the AK Jr http://andreweverard.com/2015/06/17/review-ak-jr-astell-kerns-new-kid-on-the-block/.

You did ask about keeping MP3 duplicates and surely on-the-fly conversion to 256 AAC would be a better solution?

BTW I'd like a Hugo but can't justify the cost, no matter how good it is!

I don't know how to do on-the-fly conversion other than to convert all the sync files when they are sync'd. Is there an alternative?

Looked at the AK products. Very nice! Also curious about the Pono Player but it does not seem to be available in the UK.

If I have the files on the iPhone I can listen to them 'normally' via earbuds or in the car, or I can attach a DAC/AMP like the Hugo and listen to them in hi-fi. That's my thinking!

The Hugo is expensive (I am still saving up for it) but likely to get many years of use once purchased. I can also use it on my desktop to listen via my hi-fi headphones, and even as a DAC with my living room stereo. So the flexibility is quite handy.

As long as I can get the files onto the iPhone ... sigh!

I don't know how to do on-the-fly conversion other than to convert all the sync files when they are sync'd. Is there an alternative?

Looked at the AK products. Very nice! Also curious about the Pono Player but it does not seem to be available in the UK.

If I have the files on the iPhone I can listen to them 'normally' via earbuds or in the car, or I can attach a DAC/AMP like the Hugo and listen to them in hi-fi. That's my thinking!

The Hugo is expensive (I am still saving up for it) but likely to get many years of use once purchased. I can also use it on my desktop to listen via my hi-fi headphones, and even as a DAC with my living room stereo. So the flexibility is quite handy.

As long as I can get the files onto the iPhone ... sigh!

I don't think there's any way around the all-or-nothing conversion. I thought for a second that you could do 2 syncs, one with and one without conversion (for different playlists), but the 2nd would just replace the first. Perhaps Kirk has a suggestion other than keeping dupes of your hi-res files in a lower-res?

The Pono is $400 and has issues IMO, in particular the physical format http://www.cnet.com/products/ponoplayer/.

I like the idea of the Hugo being a home *and* portable DAC but I wonder if I'd really want to carry it around in practice? The extra bulk and cost would put me off doing that.

I like my Pono Player, and in the limited testing I've done (with Etymotic hf2s) you can tell the difference between the hi-res and CD-quality tracks. As Otto said, the form factor isn't very convenient, and as a result I don't use it as much as I'd like. Syncing also isn't nearly as convenient as it is with iTunes, but it's okay since I don't buy hi-res music too frequently.

I like my Pono Player, and in the limited testing I've done (with Etymotic hf2s) you can tell the difference between the hi-res and CD-quality tracks. As Otto said, the form factor isn't very convenient, and as a result I don't use it as much as I'd like. Syncing also isn't nearly as convenient as it is with iTunes, but it's okay since I don't buy hi-res music too frequently.

Thanks for the update on Pono. I read the review shown in the link from Otto. It does seem best to way for the second generation.

In the meantime it seems there is nothing for it but to prepare Red Book versions the hi-res files I want to put on the iPhone. I have a conversion tool which will do that and I should be able to find a way to name them separately so they do not get confused with the hi-res versions in iTunes.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update on Pono. I read the review shown in the link from Otto. It does seem best to way for the second generation.

In the meantime it seems there is nothing for it but to prepare Red Book versions the hi-res files I want to put on the iPhone. I have a conversion tool which will do that and I should be able to find a way to name them separately so they do not get confused with the hi-res versions in iTunes.

Thanks everyone!

If you have a conversion tool that does it easily, that's fine, but iTunes can convert too, which means you won't have to import the new files as a separate task. I don't know why you need to name them separately. I would simply use smart playlists select tracks of the right type for syncing to the iPhone.

I asked a similar question over on the Head-Fi forum used by enthusiasts of hi-fi headphones. A very helpful member there posted this reply which I share here in case you find it helpful:

"Download Onkyo HF Player to iPhone. Connect to iTunes. Click on iPhone, then on 'Apps'. Go to 'File Sharing' section at bottom of screen and click on Onkyo HF Player. Drag your hi-res music files into the 'HF Player Documents' window on the right, and then sync.

You can still use the Apple music app as well. You don't need to sync all your CD rips to Onkyo because it sees those anyway, so you can use either app for non-hi-res files."

This is specifically for playing through an external DAC (such as Onkyo themselves manufacture). A lot of members on the Head-Fi Forum do exactly that, using e.g. the Hugo DAC. To listen to hi-res files via the iPhone itself I will still need to convert to a lower sampling rate that the iPhone hardware can handle, as was described by Otto, Kirk and others earlier in the thread.

I asked a similar question over on the Head-Fi forum used by enthusiasts of hi-fi headphones. A very helpful member there posted this reply which I share here in case you find it helpful:

"Download Onkyo HF Player to iPhone. Connect to iTunes. Click on iPhone, then on 'Apps'. Go to 'File Sharing' section at bottom of screen and click on Onkyo HF Player. Drag your hi-res music files into the 'HF Player Documents' window on the right, and then sync.

You can still use the Apple music app as well. You don't need to sync all your CD rips to Onkyo because it sees those anyway, so you can use either app for non-hi-res files."

This is specifically for playing through an external DAC (such as Onkyo themselves manufacture). A lot of members on the Head-Fi Forum do exactly that, using e.g. the Hugo DAC. To listen to hi-res files via the iPhone itself I will still need to convert to a lower sampling rate that the iPhone hardware can handle, as was described by Otto, Kirk and others earlier in the thread.

Interesting. That makes sense. Hi-res files are just files, after all, so even if the iPhone can't "play" them as audio, it can still "serve" them to an external DAC. Thanks Robert for that tip.