IGNORED

Splitting an iTunes Library

Kirk,

I'm new to the board and need some advice regarding splitting my iTunes library

I currently have my iTunes music folder (2.8TB) (all files) on an external 3.0TB hard drive. Since the drive is full, I need to split my iTunes music into two folders, with 50% remaining on the HD where it is now and 50% on a new external HD.

I have a 2012 iMac running OS 10.9.5 and iTunes 12.2 (I upgraded before I saw your article). All of my music is my own, I don't download music from the Store, don't use Apple match, nor do I plan to use Apple Music.

I have a couple of questions.

In your article, "How to Move Your iTunes Library to an External Hard Drive", you state the iTunes folder should be in my Home folder with just the music on the external HD. When I got the iMac I moved my iTunes music to an external HD. Didn't realize I was supposed to only move the music.

(1) Do I need to move my iTunes folder from the external HD to my iMac HD? If so, what's the best way to do that? Have I created any problems for myself?

I just want to divide my music into two folders, each on a separate hard drive with backup. I understand I need to copy 50% of my files from my current HD to the new HD. The current music folder is labeled iTunes music, I'm planning renaming it to iTunes #1 with the copied folders on the new HD in a folder labeled iTunes #2,

My concern is the next step where I select all of the newly copied folders and then drag and drop them into my iTunes folder (after first unchecking "copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library")

I envision 50% of my music in iTunes music #1 inside my iTunes folder and 50% in iTunes music #2 folder on the second external HD as a top level folder.

(2) Will this approach work? I'm concerned with messing up my iTunes music.

All advice is appreciated regarding my approach or a better way to achieve the same result.

Thanks

George

If you want to actually split the library, this should work.

First, make sure everything other than the iTunes Media folder is on your Mac, in your user's Music/iTunes folder. Now, back everything up.

Quit iTunes.

Duplicate your library; select it in the Finder and press Command-D. This makes a new library. Change the name to whatever you want. This new library contains information about all of your files, their metadata, play counts, and all your playlists.

Copy all the music files from the external drive to the second drive you want to use. You'll cull them later.

Launch iTunes. You'll be seeing your original library. Delete anything you don't want in this library. (You did back everything up, right? Just in case...)

When you've culled the first library, quit iTunes. Launch iTunes and immediately press the Option key. Select the second library. When you've opened this, choose iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, and now select the location for the second files on the second external drive. After you select the location for the second library, iTunes should read all the files in that new location and find that there's nothing to copy from the original location. This should work correctly, but there's a chance that it might not. So make sure you have a backup. :-)

If all has worked as it should, cull, from the second library, the files you kept in the first one.

---

Here's another method, which is what I did. I didn't care about play counts and playlists. So I make a big playlist of everything that I didn't want to keep in my first library. I created a new second library, and selected its iTunes Media folder location in a different folder from my main library. My main library is at /Music/iTunes Media, and the second library is at /Music/Other Music.

Drag all the tracks from the playlist you made just above into a folder in the Finder. Delete all those tracks from the first library.

Open the second library (launch iTunes, hold down Option), and drag all those tracks from the Finder to the new library.

As time goes by, when I want to move other tracks, I drag them from iTunes (when the first library is open) to the second library's Automatically Add to iTunes folder, so when I launch the second library, they get added without my needing to do anything.

Let me know if there's anything above that's not clear. It's a tricky process at first, and can be time-consuming, but once you've split the libraries, it's easy to manage.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Kirk

Thanks for the advice and direction

Question

on moving my iTunes folder from my external HD

To move my iTunes folder back to my iMac HD, I'll copy the folder (minus the music) from my external HD to the internal HD. I'm sure I have to do something else though in order to get back to my music. Is it as simple as copying the folder over and then deleting that folder from my external HD leaving just the music? Will i have to tell iTunes where the music is or will copying over the folder take care of it all.

You say above to duplicate my current library. I wasn't planning on doing that, I don't have HD space to copy 2.8 TB onto. Was planning on just copying 50% of my music to the new external. I am very concerned over making a mistake and messing up my music and all my work to date.

Also

The iTunes Media folder is on my internal HD, but all other iTunes files are on my external HD. There is no media folder on my external iTunes folder that contains my music. In my external iTunes folder, it has Album artwork folder, iTunes Library file, iTunes Library Extras.itdb file, iTunes Library Genius.itdb file, iTunes Library xml file, iTunes Music folder, Mobile Applications folder, and Previous iTunes Libraries folder. I assume all of this but the music needs to go back on my internal HD?

Got it, thanks

where should the iTunes media folder be? on the External HD with the music?

After I move all the files to the startup volume, do I need to do anything else to be able to use my iTunes music? i.e.; Will i have to tell iTunes where the music is or will copying over the folder take care of it all.

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to do this correctly once

thanks again

George

Thanks

I clicked on the iTunes app in the applications folder and then clicked on "Choose a Libray"

the library file is "grayed out" and won't let me select it

The same is true for the library file on the external HD

If I open iTunes from the Dock, iTunes opens using the external HD Library file

What am I doing wrong?

I dragged and dropped all of my 2nd external HD music files onto the iTunes startup folder. I am supposed to see a popup showing how iTunes is processing the new files building links to the external drive location. instead, it tries to copy the music into the iTunes folder, of course, I get a "not enough space" message, and then I can cancel out.

What am I doing wrong?

How to I get iTunes to build the new links to the second HD?

How do you mean?

Other than the track name, all information is gone from the Command I screen

When looking in the sorting tab, the track is associated with the correct folder it's contained in and the music is there, in the folder, but it did not get assigned to the correct album or playlist with brought into iTunes

I've tried a couple of things.

First, all my music is on my HD's, where it should be, iTunes is not reading it or not correctly

I tried draging and dropping the files into iTunes again (after unchecking), no change

Next I tried the "Add to Library" from the pulldown menu, no change

??

It's interesting, that most, if not all of the music folders are in iTunes, most have only 1 song, an .mp3, with the rest of the music being .wav files (The mp3 file is so I can add album artwork to the folder even though 99/100's of the files are .wav

Most of the tracks I moved today are unassigned, they are in the library in the unknown album, unknown artist playlist. As I said above, the track data needed is in the File tab.