IGNORED

New loudspeakers & room digital correction service

Will get to these RTF measurements with my new umik-1 in the next day or 2.

Convolution 101 required here -

2.2 setup, so I treat each of L, R main + sub as a single measure?

HQP3 at moment, til I upgrade server - 

so this will entail conversion of say a dsf64 file to a high rate mono WAV file x2 & then re-conversion to dsf256 for dac input?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2020 at 5:33 AM, MrDerrick said:

Finally I had some quiet time to run Thierry's new measurement tool.

The tool worked perfectly, my usb cable to my mic did not.

Its always something, if you use a UMK-1 with the micro usb port, the port > usb micro connector can be very finicky.

How many measurements? ... I’m working up the courage to get to this, with my umik-1, etc.

Make sure to let us know how it turns out!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 5/24/2020 at 9:18 PM, MrDerrick said:

Anyone who has a compatible player and is on the fence regarding HAF should consider jumping in and giving it a try.

The new HAF measurement tool is very easy to install and navigate.

All you need is a compatible mic and a small mic boom stand. ( about a $150 or less investment )

Take your time with the tool and practice a few times taking measurements.

Once you have the process down, take the 9 quick measurements and send them off to Thierry.

For my time zone, communication was about every 24 hours.

Thierry explained what he was seeing in the measurements and asked me what my goals were.

I went with a "neutral" corrective action, I wanted to establish an as accurate as possible base line response to start with.

After payment I received my filter sets the next day along with instructions on how to load them into HQPlayer.

I thought that the filters would load in the convolution page, wrong, they are loaded into the matrix page.

Thierry provided me with a screen snapshot of the matrix page showing how it should be set up.

Pictures are worth a thousand words and made filter installation very straight forward.

The only area I had to ask for help with was level compensation, which was how and where to make the adjustments in HQPlayer.

I have been listening with the HAF filters installed for about 4 days now.

I purchased the "Excellence" package which includes filters for normal correction and cross-talk reduction.

The cross-talk reduction filter set is my preferred filter set.

Currently I am in the "rediscovery" phase of listening to my music.

I do not know what "perfect' sounds like, but my listening experience has improved substantially for a very small expenditure.

Sound stage size, placement and extension of vocals and instruments have all improved.

The bottom end is much more textured and defined across its range.

After an extended time re-training my listening brain I might make some changes, but for now I am just enjoying the music.

Thanks very much for this feedback.

Did you seek any advice with regard to location of your speakers in the listening room, say fronts & subs?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 9:43 AM, rbaker said:

First point is I have a 10’x11’x10’ dedicated listening room. Not ideal.  I run Magnepan MMGs, Schiit amp, pre and dac and a REL T5i sub.

Similar room size here, though I can open large sliding doors behind the listening position into the rest of the house.

What about speaker positions - maggies & sub? How did you optimise this before measurements? Did Thierry suggest anything for that?

Thanks for this. Yes, I’ve been tinkering mainly with position of 2x subs - they’re now almost beside the front Elacs. I keep wondering if Thierry’s adjustments - when I bite that bullet! - might work better with the subs elsewhere ...