IGNORED

Article: Extending A Network For HiFi

I know it's "crazy" to think different devices could sound different, but I trust my ears since it's so obvious. I had an Apple Airport Extreme connecting to my Airport Express and between my home's awful lath and plaster and neighbors with increasingly multiple wi-fi access points, dropouts went from none to several on some nights. I had to find a new solution. Tried a couple well-regarded consumer units but the sound quality was worse than the Airport Extreme. Not supposed to happen, right? Sure, except it did.

Bit the bullet and crossed my fingers and bought a Netgear Orbi. Thankfully, problem solved on both counts: solid signal, solid sound quality. I compared it with direct optical from my laptop into my W4S Remedy and overall I still preferred the wi-fi.

Just my $0.02 to suggest you (still) have to trust your ears and "everything counts in large amounts." We should rewrite the lyrics of that song for audiophiles.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

On 6/13/2017 at 10:57 AM, marce said:

Its not just home internet, smart meters are read from the power companies, somewhere I have an article showing how much noise is being added as communications, I will dig it out when I'm at work. I do know Radio hams do suffer problems with it, EMC UK banana skins has many a tale.

Here in Seattle, I was able to opt-out of the Smart Meter program. Of course, I have to pay for the right to do so...

http://www.seattle.gov/light/ami/opt-out.asp

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

15 hours ago, realhifi said:

I will add to the praises of the Eero solution. ...it will become the new standard for wireless broadcast in homes. Would not be surprised to see Apple come out with products in this sector to replace their aging AirPort line. 

As I understand it, Apple fired/transferred their wi-fi engineers a couple years back. This was written about in the Apple-centric media quite a bit. Apple is not the "pro" company they used to be which is too bad, really, because many people (myself included) appreciate the "more-plug-n-play-than-pray" nature of their gear compared to the PC masses.