IGNORED

What uncontroversial audible differences cannot be measured?

No one has yet discovered how to measure soundstage, image width, image height, air between instruments, ambiance, smoothness or roughness of string tone or timbre accuracy, just to name a few unmeasurable parameters of sound."

If no one has discovered how to measure these things then .... how were the designers able to design and engineer these "unmeasurable" qualities into their products? :) 

It's a ridiculous audiophile argument that only an audiophile could make. :)  Good to know that designers in 2017 still have no idea how to design and engineer "sound stage" and "smoothness" and, etc, etc, etc that are "unmeasurable", beyond current understanding  and yet miraculously appear in their products. Bravo I say!  Audio alchemists FTW! 

14 minutes ago, Paul R said:

One can certainly ask that question, but in some cases, it will that they simply listened to what they had created. :)

Well, it is and it isn't. We certainly know how to measure the factors - all the factors - that go into a human being perceiving a soundstage, timbre, etc. Yes.  I am not at all so certain anyone can accurately measure how one actually perceives those factors though. One person's hearing and hearing preferences can vary dramatically from another.  As of today, there is no way to measure things like how everyone will perceive say, soundstage. Especially with people listening on vastly different systems. No? 

Well people simply "listen" and "hear" many things, so that's not in dispute. :) You could listen to a cable and hear ghosts for all I care and I would believe you. Subjectively it's possible to hear anything. The only limit is in the imagination. 

I'm sure where perception is concerned an fmRI would be quite useful. The perception of sound stage may not even be tied to the sound stage. It's merely an assumption. 

• 2 weeks later...