IGNORED

Article: The Definitive Guide To Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK)

On 07/06/2017 at 8:16 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Here's an update for everyone.

Based on my testing, the i7 NUC is much louder than I expected. It's clearly audible from across my listening room, when no music is playing. The annoying fan hasn't stopped spinning, and I'm not even playing music. 

In addition, I just updated to the newest version of Roon. Like some other updates, the database needed to be updated after the install. The NUC took 35 minutes to complete this update on my 300,000+ track library. Not a showstopper, just a data point.

roon-message.png

Hi Chris, thanks very much for this useful thread. I bought a 7i5BNK last week but had to return it (no video). While I wait for the new one, I'm having some second thoughts on the 7i7. 

My concern with getting the i7 was exactly the noise issue - and I couldn't find any makers of fanless cases for it. Did you manage to get over the noise issue? Also, for DSP on a smaller library would you think the 7i5 would be enough? The single core performance seems to be quite close between both processors. 

Last but not least, wouldn't it be possible to partition the internal drive? I also got a 960 evo which is a great option for reasonable price, however it seems a waste to allocate it all for ROCK. 

cheers