IGNORED

Anyone have any info on The Bricasti Design Model 5 Network Player

Hi all,

Advisory: I am a dealer for Bricasti (XtremeFidelity) . The new M5 is an exceptional product. The retail price is $2,400.00. Yes, Bricasti now offers an option for adding a LAN input to the M1, similar to what's available on their M12 Source Controller. The update includes the new streamer board and a revised rear panel with ethernet jack. The LAN input now appears as an additional input selection. I can tell you that this option, bypassing any external device and cables, is absolutely the way to go sonically! 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I am listening to the beta for testing Bricasti Roon firmware as I write this, so this is very real and is indeed close! It sounds wonderful. Bricasti has been working very hard on this- it takes a huge amount of work and investment, but all Bricasti products with the streamer option will be compatible. 

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

I am a dealer for both Bricasti and Sonore and I do not want to violate any CA policy on product promotion. What I can tell you is that both the M5 and the new Sonore Rendu series, especially the new ultra and Signature SE, are exceptionally sounding products which, in my opinion, significantly advance the sonics and "user-friendliness" of network streaming. However, they are two different products and thus should be looked at in the context of your system and especially your DAC. For example, the micro/ultra/SignatureSE Rendu's are USB-only, offer a variety of output modes (MPD/DLNA/Songcast/Roon/HQ Player/Spotify, etc.) and, for the micro and ultra, allow you to select the level of sonics and investment through the external power supply (the Signature SE is "all in one"). The M5 is a complete, self contained product that, in addition to USB, also provides AES and SPDIF outputs for those who want to avoid USB or don't have a USB DAC (but its USB output is no slough either). The M5 essentially provides an existing M1 series DAC with the equivalent of the new LAN input. The cost of these products is very reasonable and, to me, the idea of spending many, many thousands on a custom-computer server is no longer necessary for the best sonics.

• 1 month later...

Hi rjc1845,

Disclosure: I am a Bricasti dealer- XtremeFidelity. The network player option for the M1 has been available for a few months now. My demo M1SE has the Roon firmware update and yes, the M1 can now be an endpoint for Roon. Existing M1s can be updated to include the network option.  It's a fairly involved update as it includes a revised rear panel with ethernet jack; internal board; and updated firmware, and thus must go back to the factory. The cost of the update is somewhat dependent on the SN of your unit. Your dealer can give you specifics. If you have no local dealer, I can certainly help you. I do just want to check that the final version of Roon firmware is available for the M1; I'll report back shortly.

Tom

On 10/14/2017 at 4:56 PM, Afveep said:

Hi rjc1845,

Disclosure: I am a Bricasti dealer- XtremeFidelity. The network player option for the M1 has been available for a few months now. My demo M1SE has the Roon firmware update and yes, the M1 can now be an endpoint for Roon. Existing M1s can be updated to include the network option.  It's a fairly involved update as it includes a revised rear panel with ethernet jack; internal board; and updated firmware, and thus must go back to the factory. The cost of the update is somewhat dependent on the SN of your unit. Your dealer can give you specifics. If you have no local dealer, I can certainly help you. I do just want to check that the final version of Roon firmware is available for the M1; I'll report back shortly.

UPDATE & CORRECTION: The Roon firmware update is not yet available for the M1 & M12; only the M5 network player is available with Roon at the moment. This is due to the more complex products (M1 and M12) where Roon requires more feature/functionality control. The network player option though is available for the M1 and you can use it with JRiver and other DLNA players for now. As mentioned above, for existing M1/M1SE units, the network option is quoted by serial number. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom

• 3 months later...

Thank you for the great comments on Bricasti products! We became a Bricasti dealer because we feel the same way too! Can you please tell us more about what you have experienced with the Linear Solution switch? Specifically, what difference have you heard between the Linear Solution and an off-the-shelf switch such as a NetGear or other good quality switch? 

Hi,

Thanks to fsmithjack for passing along Brian's answers. CJF, I am a Bricasti dealer in the metro NY area and may be able to help you with home auditions, but only if fsmithjack is not also a dealer or you don't have a local dealer where you are. These are two exceptional sounding products and, in my opinion, bring network streaming to a new level. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Strojo said:

Heard from Bricasti...100mbps, not gigabit.  Leads me to speculate they are using a RaspberryPi board, because who the heck would design their own board with a slower technology that's been outdated for years?  :-)

Regarding the choice of LAN speed connection available on the M5: I am not an engineer but can only report what I've learned from other very reliable sources. Supposedly, gigabit ethernet CAN generate more noise than a basic 10/100 interface. Since gigabit connection speeds are way higher than what is required for even hires and DSD audio, the prudent approach is to use the 10/100 LAN connection to keep noise as low as absolutely possible. Bricasti is by no means the only company to take this approach. Another VERY highly thought-of / reviewed competitive renderer product also follows this same approach. And yes, the Bricasti board is custom-designed by Bricasti.