IGNORED

Strange Windows 10 Issue

3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm at my wits' end with a Windows 10 issue that recently cropped up. Any help you can give is very welcomed.

Details:

My Windows 10 PC runs RoonServer, JRiver, HQPlayer, and a host of other apps. Everything is network based, so no USB connected DACs or anything on this PC. The PC runs just fine for hours, but then certain types of network traffic stop working. 

RoonServer can no longer see endpoints, login to the Roon account, or login to Tidal

HQPlayer can't see NAA endpoints

JRiver can't see the update server

Web browsers can't access any internet pages

However, I can ping both IP addresses and fully qualified domain names both locally and on the internet. 

My temporary solution is to restart the PC and everything works. until come back down to my office in the morning and I'm back to the same several items not working. 

The issue started around mid to late April. It was present before the Windows 10 creators update and after the update. 

Please help if you can.

Switch to Mac or Linux.

On 5/4/2017 at 3:55 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I can tell you how to avoid auto accidents. Don't drive or ride in a car. Helpful? I think not. 

It is actually.

If you consider the analog as in not "Don't drive", but "Don't drive bicycle on highways, rather drive a safe car there.".

Windows is long known for a flaky networking stack, at least from everything I could see.

Could be NIC drivers, could be a switch or router (not Windows problems per se), could be bad cables.

But in my experience, Windows is much more likely to have networking issues than either macOS or Linux.

6 hours ago, rickca said:

Are you kidding?  MacOS has had major problems with wifi.  Have a look at what happened when Apple tried to replace mDNSResponder with discoveryd.  

Be as it may, but in general my comment is correct.

Windows WiFi is no picnic either.

On 5/4/2017 at 9:34 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I'm at my wits' end with a Windows 10 issue that recently cropped up. Any help you can give is very welcomed.

Details:

My Windows 10 PC runs RoonServer, JRiver, HQPlayer, and a host of other apps. Everything is network based, so no USB connected DACs or anything on this PC. The PC runs just fine for hours, but then certain types of network traffic stop working. 

RoonServer can no longer see endpoints, login to the Roon account, or login to Tidal

HQPlayer can't see NAA endpoints

JRiver can't see the update server

Web browsers can't access any internet pages

However, I can ping both IP addresses and fully qualified domain names both locally and on the internet. 

My temporary solution is to restart the PC and everything works. until come back down to my office in the morning and I'm back to the same several items not working. 

The issue started around mid to late April. It was present before the Windows 10 creators update and after the update. 

Please help if you can.

I would suggest try and start from scratch:

Reformat the disk and reinstall Windows and all the software.

Reason for it could lie in a virus or a trojan you could've contracted...

If you have an option to just stick another disk to try that on for a few days, that might be ideal IMHO.

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The shotgun approach always works. I'm hopeful for a different solution. 

Not sure how I could've reasonably contracted a virus or Trojan. No web browsing or email on this machine. Windows firewall and defender both running. 

Do you have a different NIC you could try?

Disable a built-in on the motherboard, and see if that helps?