IGNORED

Class D: Turns Out it Does Suck!

I bought eight Hypex UcD700HG modules (and HxR regulators) when they first came out, for a fully active setup - four per channel. I used linear PSUs with massively over-sized trannies - one per module. They were replacing a pair of Pass Labs X600 monos I was using in my passive setup before going active. The Hypex modules measured superbly and were the only practical solution I could come up with at the time.

I have to say, the Hypex modules put me off class D for life - a totally bland and dead sound to my ears. Perhaps newer class D amps (Hypex and others) sound better, but they'd have to be so much better for me to even consider them for a sub, let alone anything else. In any event, having been through so many different types of speakers and amps over the years, I know I'll be sticking with horns and SETs from now on.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

25 minutes ago, semente said:

Yet at 3m with @manisandher speakers you'll get 0.2% THD+N at 95.5dB.

Not too bad.

What can I say? After decades of owning all sorts of speaker/amp combos, my current setup is easily the most musically satisfying I've ever managed to achieve. It's the end-game for me.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

That really is horrifically ugly.

Certainly not to everyone's tastes, but I love their simple and functional design:

590b778ea2c1c_Thress-Elrog.thumb.jpg.b4921bc0e4478f75d2aa52810a6e146a.jpg

And more importantly, I love the way they sound, especially with the Elrog 300B tubes :).

Mani.

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

The  class D amps' square waves look much better than this SET at 10 KHz...

The designer/manufacturer took a frequency response measurement of my amps before shipping them out to me. Taken on the primary of the OPT (as the secondaries don't carry a ground potential), the amps measure -3dB at 7.5Hz and 150kHz, with virtually no OPT resonance visible above 150kHz. Not sure what the 10kHz square wave would like though.

Mani.