IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

• 8 months later...

Hi @JohnSwenson

If you get a spare moment can you share (at a high level) how these isolators like the Silanna chip used in the ISO REGEN actually work, i.e. how do they isolate the USB data lines? 

And is the USB ground of the ISO REGEN isolated by the Silanna chip or is that a different isolation method?

Asking these questions in another way, how does stuff actually get from one side of 'the moat' to the other side and how does this then block most of the (low impedance) leakage?

Cheers!

Found this nice high level explanation on digital isolators:

"Digital isolators use transformers or capacitors to magnetically or capacitively couple data across an isolation barrier, compared to optocouplers that use light from LEDs."

http://www.analog.com/en/technical-articles/anatomy-of-a-digital-isolator.html

My next question was why not use optical isolation (would this block both low AND high impedance leakage currents?) but that page goes into the disadvantages of opto-coupling too.

I'm also guessing it's isolating the ground connection that's trickiest?

12 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

There are many types of digital isolators, the most famous is the optocoupler, (LED pointing at photostransistor), there are many others: transformers, capacitively coupled, radio transmitters and my favorite, GMR (Giant MagnetoResistive).

Hi John I will zoom in on your favourite there (GMR), if you don't mind.

Is there still capacitive coupling involved? Or is GMR as good as optical isolation (absolute zero leakage currents getting across)?

Have you played around with GMR isolation, especially with your new custom made leakage currents test gear?

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

The problem with the ISO REGEN was not the isolation technology per se, but that for some reason the chip didn't work when there was a very rapidly changing voltage between the two sides. It turns out this can easily happen with older style SMPS supplies, particularly those used for residential networking equipment. Since most of you guys are using this with computer audio where residential networks are used, this happens a lot.  The only way to deal with this is to put a filter across the "moat" which slows down the edges, but also lets high impedance leakage through. In REALLY bad cases that isn't even enough which is what the switch is for.

John S.

Hi John

Many thanks again.

I wasn't even hinting at the issues a small percentage of ISO REGEN users had with isolation switched on (as you say, you can still defeat the isolation and the sound is still fantastic as an Uber Regen).

But... I'm sure deep inside you'd preferred to have seen fewer issues with isolation and no need to have an isolation on/off switch (i.e. better reliability).

I had a very funky system setup (my fault) where I did have issues with the ISO REGEN isolation enabled. The iFi iGalvanic3.0 had the same issues. Something my Intona had no issues with.

I'm sure we'll see your favorite isolation method (GMR) pop up sooner or later. Hopefully sooner?

Even if it were in a bigger box , I'd love for something with the reliability of the Intona but better SQ

And something that did block BOTH high and low impedance leakage in the one box would be nice.

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It could be done, but we have so many more interesting projects going on and I really think the market window for another USB device is closing.  It just would not sit right with me to tell everyone who just bought an ISO REGEN last year that we have something else to replace it.  Can't go to that well too many times.  Time to move on!

Fair enough. I read that you're playing with a ZMan board (quite a few audio companies are at the moment) and like that they control/support the software side, so connecting the dots.... Looking forward to developments. Anyway I'm now off topic.