IGNORED

My Essential Classical Albums.

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

The story of their performances of Händel's suites together with Richter was described by Gavrilov in his famous book with lot of piquant details. I had soviet LPs with these recordings long time ago. The sound was sloppy and interpretation by two artists was not... coherent. Imho, of course.

I'm going to get that book!  

I don't know what the Soviet LPs sound like, but I would agree that the sound on the EMI remaster is somewhat "sloppy".  But in fairness, I think of even older, even "sloppier" recordings where I find that it's not hard to listen through limitations of the recording and can appreciate the quality of the performance, e.g., Schnabel, Rachmaninov, Fischer,  Moiseiwitsch, Friedman, Moszkowski, etc. 

In terms of a "not ... coherent" interpretation, having two pianists is a bit strange.  Perhaps the format highlights the difference not only between the individual suites, but also differences in the  technique and interpretation of the two performers.  But I think the sheer quality of the performances by Gavrilov and especially Richter trump everything else.  Imho, of course!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, sphinxsix said:

Has anyone heard this version:

81zz0l4k2BL._SL1500_.jpg

What about SQ, is it the same mastering as:

Image result for argerich rachmaninoff piano concerto 3"

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but for what it's worth, I have two versions of these performances: the 1995 Decca CD, and the 2015 Decca/DG Argerich box set retrospective, "Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon".  According to JRMC, they appear to be the same masterings:

Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 3
The DRs in dB, (LU) on the respective works and movements of Rach 3 are:
Rach 3: 13 (14.2); 13 (14.0); 13 (14.8)

The respective peak levels, R128, (sample) are:
Rach 3: 2.1 dBTP (2.1 dB); 0.0 dBTP (0.0 dB); -0.3 dBTP (-0.4 dB)

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 1
The DRs in dB, (LU) on the respective works and movements of Tchaikovsky 1 are:
Tchaikovsky 1: 15 (21.8); 15 (18.3); 13 (16.6)

The respective peak levels, R128, (sample) are:
Tchaikovsky 1: -2.2 dBTP (-2.2 dB), -6.0 dBTP (-6 dB); +0.1 dBTP (-0.0 dB)