IGNORED

Dynamic Range Compression Equivalent In Video

That's data compression and I agree it is obvious.  Chris is taking dynamic range compression.  I've seen processing for still photos that does that. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I think this would apply.  One photo as it was taken.  And one where I have adjust level thresholds for low and high.  I reduced the level for top brightness in essence shrinking light to dark range by 1/3 (about 9 db if we were talking about music).  Nearly everything becomes bright the way nearly everything becomes loud with music.  You lose lots of detail just shrinking the image size as this was originally a 16 megapixel image. Even then compression of levels has an obvious terrible effect on available features that are left.

I think this is appropriate.  Like sound a little bit seems brighter and more vibrant.  Eventually it becomes too much. It would appear to me our eye is perhaps more sensitive to this than our ear. 

Well sphinxsix sort of beat me to it though my example is more extreme kind of like nearly all current commercial albums.

58f919a78112e_normaldrpic.thumb.JPG.7635feb4e103baa23f77e012234f1c1f.JPG58f919b8098d3_normalreduceddronethird.thumb.JPG.ce5e7e59c340ba3fdc4e423567a1c467.JPG

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.