IGNORED

Oppo UDP-205 Universal Disc Player

16 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Good to know as mines ordered :D

Can you elaborate a bit please. Do you mean for movies or music? Or both?

Thanks, 

Alan 

I have about 50 hours on mine and was very pleased with the much improved stereo analog.  I have a Sonicorbiter SE connected while I wait for the Ultrarendu and am very happy with the sound to this point.  I was expecting a harsh, bright sound but that is not the case.  I have a Resonessence Veritas DAC that is very good and have been doing some comparisons.  I will have to get a bit more hours on the Oppo but they really did a nice job with this unit. The video processing is excellent as usual but I think you are in for a treat where music is concerned ;)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chrille said:

Hmm ,did he not say DAC 2?

The latest DAC from Benchmark is DAC 3 which has the 9028 chip  if I understand things correctly. Is there anybody here who knows why they did not go for the 2038 chip like  OPPO?

My DAC 2 is still ok in my system but according to reviews DAC 3 is better and now it seems that maybe an OPPO 205 might be as good as  DAC 3 or even better.

I' ll have to audition one.

I have to say though that I was underwhelmed by the predecessor OPPO 105 which I found complicated to use with the need for a TV screen even for audio only use set up and the BLOODY FAN made so much noise that I returned it.

My old SACD player good as it as still sounds on well recorded material is  about to give up  on SACDs .

Anybody here who listens to large scale classical acoustic material who could say how good the new OPPO is for music only?

Does it really give the new Benchmark DAC 3 and others in the same price category, a run for its money?

If so it might be a good buy considering the fact that one gets a   mch capable multidisk-player for  basically the same price as a standalone stereo dac.

I  like when I can find  a good deal.

There is a night and day different every between the 105 and 205 in my experience.  Oppo did their homework on this unit. I have about 250 hours on mine and am stunned at the sound quality.  I found previous models to have a harsh/thin sound but not this one.  I am using it with Roon and Sonicorbiter SE as an endpoint until the Ultrarendu is available and it definitely does not disappoint