IGNORED

Remote control Tidal on PC from Ipad?

So, I am running Tidal on a Lenovo Yoga.  I would like to be able to control it remotely on my Ipad.  I was hoping to do this with Roon, but so far Roon has been a bust.  Pretty much  nothing works the way it is supposed to, and my critical questions have gone unanswered.  Are there any other options in this regard?

What doesn't work? It works perfectly on my iPad Air 2. 

What about the Tidal app? It also works.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

If you don't require TIDAL Masters/MQA and are ok with one of the OpenHome controller app (eg Linn Kazoo or Lumin) interfaces for TIDAL on the iPad, all you need to do is run a decent standard UPnP/DLNA renderer on the Windows PC with the BubbleUPnP Server helper application (for the standard UPnP to OpenHome bridge provided by its create OpenHome renderer function).

The excellent foobar2000 audio file player can be used as a standard UPnP renderer if you install the foo_upnp plugin component. JRiver Media Center also has a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer.

Alternatively, as a simpler install, you could try openhome.org's own OpenHome Player, which is a native OpenHome renderer, so therefore doesn't require the BubbleUPnP Server (with its created OpenHome renderer). However, unlike foobar2000 & JRiver, you are currently restricted to using it with whatever you've set Windows (default) audio output to.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

5 hours ago, firedog said:

What doesn't work? It works perfectly on my iPad Air 2. 

What about the Tidal app? It also works.

Well, I wish I knew.  So far, no answer to my queries.  The Tidal app works on my Ipad, but I want to control my OC remotely with Tidal/mqa.

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

If you don't require TIDAL Masters/MQA and are ok with one of the OpenHome controller app (eg Linn Kazoo or Lumin) interfaces for TIDAL on the iPad, all you need to do is run a decent standard UPnP/DLNA renderer on the Windows PC with the BubbleUPnP Server helper application (for the standard UPnP to OpenHome bridge provided by its create OpenHome renderer function).

The excellent foobar2000 audio file player can be used as a standard UPnP renderer if you install the foo_upnp plugin component. JRiver Media Center also has a built-in standard UPnP/DLNA renderer.

Alternatively, as a simpler install, you could try openhome.org's own OpenHome Player, which is a native OpenHome renderer, so therefore doesn't require the BubbleUPnP Server (with its created OpenHome renderer). However, unlike foobar2000 & JRiver, you are currently restricted to using it with whatever you've set Windows (default) audio output to.

Thanks, but mqa is a major reason I subscribe to Tidal and got a Mytec dac.  I have just gotten into computer audio and don't understand all the lingo.  Given this new info, do you have a suggestion?

Well, saying Roon "doesn't work" doesn't tell us much, especially when for the rest of us using iPads it does.

I looked at what appear to be your posts on the Roon forum. Three comments:

1. You did get some answers to your questions;

2. It appears much of  the issue is with your Mytek DAC and it's drivers, and less with Roon;

3. You need to put a little time into learning how to operate Roon. It works differently than other software you are used to. Some of the problems you asked about result from how you've (whether intentionally or not) told Roon to catalog and present your library and your Tidal selections to you. You can get the results you want, you just need to learn how to tell Roon to give you what you want. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

49 minutes ago, firedog said:

Well, saying Roon "doesn't work" doesn't tell us much, especially when for the rest of us using iPads it does.

I looked at what appear to be your posts on the Roon forum. Three comments:

1. You did get some answers to your questions;

2. It appears much of  the issue is with your Mytek DAC and it's drivers, and less with Roon;

3. You need to put a little time into learning how to operate Roon. It works differently than other software you are used to. Some of the problems you asked about result from how you've (whether intentionally or not) told Roon to catalog and present your library and your Tidal selections to you. You can get the results you want, you just need to learn how to tell Roon to give you what you want. 

Fair enough.  When I play music with Roon, I get no sound.  At one point, it did work briefly, but now does not again.    Everything looks set up correctly.  Since  the sysyem works fine with Foobar and the Tidal app on the PC, the Mytec drivers don't seem to be the problem.  On the Ipad, Roon recognizes my PC, but fails to find my music.

2 hours ago, diver110 said:

Thanks, but mqa is a major reason I subscribe to Tidal and got a Mytec dac.  I have just gotten into computer audio and don't understand all the lingo.  Given this new info, do you have a suggestion?

As there's currently no official remote control app for the TIDAL Desktop application, you could always try installing VNC Connect (for its bundled VNC Server) on the PC. VNC Server will allow you to remote control the PC as a whole (so would include the TIDAL Desktop app), using the VNC Viewer app on the iPad. Not sure how clunky it'll be, but it is free.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox