IGNORED

Santana's Lotus: Complete Edition in DSD 11.2 MHz and Surround Sound SACD

On 4/18/2017 at 2:05 PM, bmoura said:

Hmm, when I looked at Mora.Jp they only had the 2.8 MHz on DSD. 

http://mora.jp/package/43000001/4547366308297/

Sony Japan hasn't announced a 5.6 MHz version. How did Mora.Jp get that ?

Mora.jp now indicates they will offer the 11.2 MHz version at the end of July, so it looks like e-Onkyo got a 3 month exclusive.

Has anyone managed to get around the region restrictions using a VPN?

Are the region restrictions title specific, or are these Japanese download sites prohibited in general from serving the North American market?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

On 4/18/2017 at 2:36 PM, KDinsmore said:

Me too on the fast ship. Here's hoping!

Mine has landed at JFK in NY at 12:30am last night.

Now I need a swift pass through customs, and get it on a truck for the local P.O. at which point it might get delivered Friday, but much more likely Saturday if past USPS efficiency/performance is any indicator.

Sometimes it also sits and goes nowhere in U.S. Customs for a day or two or three or four, which unfortunately means delivery next week is also a distinct possibility.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, KDinsmore said:

I'm stupid for sure. I did not know that SACD tags at 64. This "uses" the 11.2. Since I always have these ripped I was ignorant to that fact. Still sounds great.

Not exactly.

SACD rips to DSD64 only, that is all you will get from an SACD rip, because that is what is physically on the disc, 2.8MHz sample rate (64x the sample rate of CD).

The 3 things regarding the new Lotus Complete Edition that are at an 11.2MHz sample rate (DSD256) are:

1) the digital transfer/capture of the original 16 channel multitrack analog tapes

2) the new 2-channel stereo mix/digital master created from the multitrack tapes

3) the Japan-only 11.2MHz download, currently an exclusive available only through e-Onkyo for 3 months

It remans to be seen whether or not that 11.2MHz download will ever be available in markets other than Japan, though e-Onkyo's exclusive on it will end in late July at which point Mora.jp will also offer it.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

3 hours ago, bmoura said:

Exactly.  That explains why the music downloads sites that offer DSD - like NativeDSD, Blue Coast, DSD File/Opus 3, etc. - offer albums in DSD 5.6 MHz (DSD 128) and DSD 11.2 MHz (DSD 256) Stereo and in some cases DSD 5.6 MHz and DSD 11.2 MHz Multichannel as well as in DSD 2.8 MHz Stereo and Multichannel DSD. The higher DSD bit rates are only available in download form, not from an SACD disc copy/rip. 

I see that Acoustic Sounds is now offering Lotus Complete Edition on Surround SACD as a pre-order.  Adding them to the list of US options that includes Import CDs and Bull Moose for the SACD.  

The real question is can they get the DSD 11.2 MHz Stereo Download in the future.  Otherwise, the DSD 11.2 MHz Stereo download will remain a Japan only option. 

It sure would make sense for Acoustic Sounds to offer the 11.2MHz download at some point given they have championed DSD downloads, and have a relationship with Sony including carrying Sony's high-end hardware line-up.

I can't see why Sony Music would keep that 11.2MHz download a Japan exclusive, it doesn't make a ton of business sense to do so, but it wouldn't be the first time a record label did something that made no sense.

Certain things are indeed limited to Japan-only distribution, cars, cameras, electronics, music releases, etc... and unlike physical product which is relatively easily exported, downloads restricted by license agreement might never see the light of day in N. America.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook