IGNORED

iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Computer Audio

A Nano iUSB3.0 has been in my room for a week, and I love it.  It's everything Jay said in his audiobacon.net's review.  The lack of warmth that he mentioned imho is caused by choices of transport, USB and SATA cables.  I think the Nano is very revealing, sometimes can be unforgiving of associated components.  It did sound bright and factual for the first day or two, but afterwards I have been rewarded with highly detailed, holographic yet musical SQ.  "The lack of warmth" has been replaced with "the lack of euphonic extra warmth not existing in original recordings".

Like many ifi fans, I can't wait to hear the iGalvanic3.0.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, agladstone said:

Thanks for all your help!! 

I am currently upgrading my Linear power supply, so trying to plan ahead in anticipation of the iGalvonic. 

I cuirently have a Wyred4sound Recovery USB Reclocker and I'm trying to decide between:

iGalvonic + Micro iUSB 3.0

iGalvonic + W4S Recovery

ISO Regen 

ISO Regen + W4S Recovery OR Micro iUSB 

Hi Agladstone,

I'm not AMR/iFi Audio but I own first Regen, then W4S RUR, lastly iFi iUSB3.0 (Nano version, as my DAC is in $2,000 range).  Even though I haven't tried ISO Regen yet, I love the SQ that Nano iUSB3.0, along with iSilencer3.0, iDefender, DC PUrifier, and iPurifier2, offers that I'm excitedly waiting for the iG3.0 to squeeze any ounce of SQ left from my USB setup.

Since you're using and perhaps enjoying the W4S RUR, let me friendly suggest that you try the iG3.0 first then go from there.  As for me, after tasting the iUSB3.0 for over 30 days (it needs that long to come to itself), I've been hooked and wanted nothing but iFi products to improve my USB music further.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, it depends on how much current your device is drawing.  Check current rating of your target device and if it's within 3.4A, you're good.  I've plugged DC Purifier into an external Bluray drive, then powered the combo with HDPlex 12V output.  The DC Purifier doesn't get lukewarm.  On the other hand, I've also powered a (pretty powerful) MAINGEAR laptop with HDPlex 19V output via another DC Purifier, and the DCP gets really hot.

Yes, I would think 3.4A is the max current amperage that can pass thru the DCP.

• 1 month later...

Exact my situation: I've enjoyed my Nano USB3.0 for 2 months but right now unsure if I'd leave it in the audio chain, take it out, or replace it with Micro USB3.0.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you use the supplied USB 3.0 cable?  If so, try your own USB 2.0 cable.  My guess is, the USB 3.0 bus should be consistent all the way from computer to DAC, otherwise it won't work (connect fails).

Are you kidding?  With the iGalvanic3.0 that I'd been patiently waiting for, I'm getting the best sounding setup ever in my room.  It works extremely well with other iFi devices:  Nano iUSB3.0, iDefender, iSilencer, iPurifier2, and DC Purifier.

I had an iPurifier2 in the audio chain, and I think it's the culprit for connection failure if blue USB 3.0 cable was used.  Removing it, and music plays dandy thru iG3, iUSB3.0 on blue USB 3.0 cables between computer and iG3.0 and between iG3.0 and iUSB3.0.

Now, if AMR/ifi audio makes short (20cm) Audiophile USB 3.0 cables, I'm sure they will sell a whole lot.  Too bad WireWorld stopped making short USB 3.0 cables.

• 1 month later...

You both may have a good point here.  Case scenario:  I've been running iG3.0 in front of Nano iUSB3.0 and liked the increase in SQ.  Today I reversed the order, placing the iUSB in front of iG3.0, and a thin layer of grain, which I didn't know existed, vanished.  The music, especially vocals and mute trumpet, became sweeter.  Bass is less prominent.  For connections I'm using Uptone USB adapter and Curious links.

• 3 weeks later...

On a positive note, here's my experience with iGalvanic3.0 so far:  having also a nano usb3.0 and an iPurifier2, I've been trying several combinations of them all or just the iG3/usb3.  The best sounding combo in my setup is the following chain: USB 3.0 port --> iDefender powered by iPower --> Curius link --> iG3 fully isolated --> Curius link --> nano usb3.0 --> Curius link --> iP2. The music plays with full body from top to bottom, lacking digital glare that I didn't realize existed.  Multi part vocals, accompanied or acapella, are easier to localize.  Details such as inhales, non musical sounds on stage or in audience, or the recording venue background, can be heard for the first time or more easily.

Mercury 3.0 links will be here soon, and I'm excited to be testing them against the trusty Curius links.

On 10/25/2017 at 10:08 PM, PPk said:

how does it compare to IG3 only vs IG3 with nano? will it be worthwhile to invest in nano/micro iusb? 

In my setup at least, IG3 with Nano is more preferable than IG3 alone.  Since I wanted to use Mercury 3.0 cables all the way, the iP2 I have on hand lets me connect USB 3.0 cable to my DAC.  It's tempting to replace the Nano with Micro USB 3.0, but it's sounding awfully good now so I'll stay this way for a while.

Is it worthwhile to invest in Nano/Micro?  I say yes.

Updates:  the Mercury USB 3.0 cables arrived 3 hours ago, and I've spent most the time making them work.  Luckily, I made it and am listening to music now.  They are replacing 3 Curious links, and they appear to do a better job even while running in.

At the end of the day, I trust my own ears.  The iG3, combined with Nano (not even as good as Micro), and Mercury USB 3.0 cables, are giving me big smiles.  iP2 is icing on the cake.  I've never experienced the ISO Regen so no comments here.  My non-audiophile wife confirmed my choice of USB 3.0 cables when she noticed the sudden jump in SQ last night.  In her words on an entire album we've been familiar with, "Those singers are sounding so good.  It's too bad they're no longer together."  We're talking about a non-audiophile recording of a no longer playing band, but I had to silently agree with her.  On the same setup, playing same tracks, the new "USB fixer" stuff (using the reviewer's word) made by iFi Audio (could be from Uptone Audio or else, doesn't matter) has really made difference to my music enjoyment.  I hope I'll try the Micro USB someday.

Currently I've been shuffling the iG3 and Nano USB 3.0 around, with one in front of the other and vice versa, with iP2 plugged into DAC to accommodate the USB 3.0 cable.  Both positions render good SQ, with the Nano in front sounding a tad brighter, and iG3  in front sounding a bit mellower.  Both are highly and nicely detailed, palpable and top to bottom balanced.  Following iFi Audio's instructions I've always turned on and connected DAC side first before computer side.  That way the driver reinstallation pain has no longer applied.  I'll keep an ear on the sonic differences between before settling on one or another.

Updates:  Just switched back to the following configuration,

Audiopc --> iDefender (powered by Nano USB 3.0 located farther down the chain) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iG3.0 --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> Nano USB 3.0 (powered by iPower and DC iPower) --> Mercury USB 3.0 --> iP2 --> DAC 

and this is the best sounding setup setup I have so far.

I'd think so, even though I also think placing the iG3.0 closer to the AudioPC makes a more audible difference than whether it's powered by iPower or Nano.  That said, I'm really curious about the outcome should a Micro replace the Nano.  Also, by common sense the iP2 should not be there but it lets me use the 3rd USB 3.0 link which I think contributes a lot to the nice SQ I'm hearing now.  So it'll be there for now.

I have one but haven't tried it with this latest setup.  I did try and compare with an all Curious links, and didn't think it wasn't as musical as the CL, to my ears anyway.  Now that you're suggesting, I think it's a great idea to give it another shot.  Will try soon and post report.  Thanks.

First try: no success.  It seems the setup consisting of all iFi Audio stuff (iG3, Nano USB 3.0, USB 3.0 links) doesn't like to work with the uspcb.  It took me sometime to reinstall driver before I could go back to prior setup and listen again before going to bed.  Will get back to the uspcb later, hopefully tomorrow.

It worked fine until the USB 3.0 cable plugged into iP2 was replaced by uspcb.  No matter how I tried the ASIO driver didn't get loaded or recognized.  I'll try again later but going back to USB 3.0/iP2 again as the last link before DAC and it sounded splendid.

That's what I did, connecting Nano iUSB3.0 to DAC via the uspcb.  It seems that once I have USB 3.0 links upstream, any USB 2.0 link downstream stops working.  Except for the iP2, which has USB 3.0 input that thankfully accommodates the Mercury 3.0 and itself plugs into the DAC w/o issues.

Having heard the sonic benefits of an all USB 3.0 high quality connections down the DAC, I don't miss the uspbc a bit.  Before the Mercury 3.0 arrived, I had tried the uspcb in place of Curious links and gone back to the CL.