IGNORED

Iso regen

Ask and you shall receive. :) Here is a photo of a single UltraCap LPS-1 powering both a Sonore microRendu and an ISO REGEN--and the ISO REGEN is in turn powering/charging the power-hungry 100% bus-powered iFi micro iDSD DAC/headphone amp.

This is really no different than doing the same chain with a USB REGEN--except in this case the ISO REGEN is using 5VBUS power from the microRendu to power the upstream side of the ISO REGEN's isolator chip. (Whereas the USB REGEN does not use any VBUS power.)

So yes, I just revealed the one installation/usage difference of ISO REGEN: It does require VBUS power for its upstream/input side. And, not that the "dirty" side requires it, but we use one of the ISO's 5(!) ultra-ultra-low-noise LT3042 voltage regulators to make 3.3V out of the 5VBUS for the isolator. They are pricy, so I guess we save a small amount by buying more for each, and their tiny size really helps since our little 2.5 square-inch ISO REGEN board already has 86 parts on it! (parts on both sides of the board now).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33987[/ATTACH]

The only problem I see, for my setup, is that I like to use the DC adapter for powering the Regen, soon to be ISO Regen, with the LPS-1. If I use your new USB adapter from server to ISO Regen, there won't be enough room between the two to slide the LPS-1 in and connect with the DC adapter. Too bad that power input couldn't be from the side for the ISO Regen?

Otherwise I will have to either use a small USB chord from the Server to ISO Regen or use a small DC chord from LPS-1 to the ISO Regen.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Forgive my prying ElviaCaprice, but do you use a single LPS-1 for powering both your PP V2 USB Card and Regen? I'm going the PP + ISO Regen route as well. Thanks.

I have two LPS-1's. One for the PPA V2 card/Intona, the other for the Regen/IFI DAC. Using a DC adapter or as short a DC chord as possible with the LPS-1 makes a difference.

I'm still going to need two LPS-1's with the ISO Regen. One for the PPA V2/ISO Regen, the other for the ISO Regen/IFI DAC. Remember the ISO Regen is powered separately in two different stages, you don't want to break the galvanic isolation using only one LPS-1 for both, even if capable.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

You two have me confused. Why would you need two ISO REGENs?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Just one, Iso Regen. I only described it as two so as to separate the power of each end of the galvanic isolation. Two LPS-1's. I think the PPA V2 USB card needs all the LPS-1 can output anyways. So one LPS-1 wouldn't have enough output to power both the PPA V2 USB card and the Iso Regen.

• 3 weeks later...

Or will the ISO Regen create better sound quality without a mRendu in the component stream, thus the stream shall remain in the USB domain following the server?

Regardless, if the ISO Regen can exceed or get close to the sound quality of a renderer, via USB only, the ISO shall be my component of choice due to it's avoiding the network issues of renderers and providing all the benefits of format choices.

• 2 weeks later...

Your going to want the shortest DC cable possible (Makes a noticeable difference in my system).  Best to make your own.  A barrel adaptor is best but obviously won't work for tight spots or Y connections.   

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Superdad said:

By the way, we did put a DIP switch on the back to defeat the isolation if necessary in extreme circumstances (another time I'll talk about our experiences and what those circumstances might be).  Most people will never have to use the switch, but there to it is interesting to be able to hear what the galvanic isolation brings to the table.  

:D

Onward!

--Alex C.

This is great to hear, Alex.  Nice touch and definitely might make this more compatible with the 2Qute and it's galvanic isolation.  Options are always good. :D  Does that mean if the galvanic isolation is switched off we need a 5V vbus feed?  Which I'm sure you will answer in good time.