IGNORED

Do too many Pots ruin the soup?

bigbob

I am running a iFi nano iDSD LE, which has a volume control, into a Schiit SYS passive pre-amp, and then the signal goes into a Yamaha RX-350 which has a volume control.

I have been running the nano with the volume turned up 100%, and the volume of the Yamaha cranked up 100%, using the pot on the SYS as my volume control.

Being a newbie to Computer Audiophile I would appreciate the opinions of some more experienced folks.

Would I be better off leaving the Yamaha at full volume, essentially making it a Power amplifier, and use the volume control of the nano as the "pre-amp"? Or, would the SYS passive pre-amp be a better choice for volume control.

I noticed some scratchy sounds on certain passages, I am thinking that I have too many volume controls in the signal path.

I think I found your problem. But seriously, it shouldn't that much matter. For convenience sake, use the iFi volume control to match levels with the second input on your Schiit and use the Schiit's volume control to match levels with the other sources to your Yamaha. Use the Yamaha volume to control final playback level.

If you're using the Schiit volume because it's closest to you, then turn the Yamaha down and set the Schiit to maximum. Turn the Yamaha up to the loudest you'd ever listen, then use the Schiit volume control going forward. The last thing I'd recommend is leaving the Yamaha ragin', full on.

I think I found your problem. But seriously, it shouldn't that much matter. For convenience sake, use the iFi volume control to match levels with the second input on your Schiit and use the Schiit's volume control to match levels with the other sources to your Yamaha. Use the Yamaha volume to control final playback level.

If you're using the Schiit volume because it's closest to you, then turn the Yamaha down and set the Schiit to maximum. Turn the Yamaha up to the loudest you'd ever listen, then use the Schiit volume control going forward. The last thing I'd recommend is leaving the Yamaha ragin', full on.

Thanks, I am now getting more range of volume control with the Schiit SYS. I knew there was good answer out there. With my Schiit Modi2 it was not a problem. The nano has a built-in headphone amplifier and I just had the Yamaha repaired, so I was perplexed on which combo of settings would sound best. The volume control on the nano is great when used as a headphone amp, and my thinking was that Yamaha needed to be running 100%, but everything sounds better with the receiver at 50% output, the nano at 100% and the Schiit has full range of volume control...