IGNORED

New audio guy help.

Just bought an DefTech Pro Sub 1000, 300 watts of power this thing shakes my freakin living room anyway my question is should I connect my speakers to the subwoofer it has 2 sets of binding posts and I'm not sure how to do it and if it will make a difference. Any professional help will do I'm still learning I have an Onkyo 8140 only a couple of months old.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

should I connect my speakers to the subwoofer it has 2 sets of binding post

There is no "should" about it: there are two ways do integrate a sub into your system and you might want to try both and decide which sounds best.

The way you are doing it now -- using the "Sub Out" on the back on the Onkyo -- allows your main speakers to run "full-range" while also sending low frequencies to the sub. If you use the speaker terminals on the back of the sub then the sub is controlling how much low frequency gets sent out to the main speakers via the "Variable Low Pass Crossover" control. In some cases, letting the sub exclusively handle the lowest frequencies results in a cleaner, more accurate sound.

I understand it can be a hassle to run another set of speaker cables over to the sub and rearrange your main speaker cables; if you're happy with the sound the way it is, then leave it alone and enjoy!

17_2_large.jpg

More information starts on p.4 of the manual:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/assets.soundunited.com/definitive/product_documents_legacy/ProSub800_1000_Manual_20309_read.pdf?mtime=20161003165515

By the way it sounds great sub might be a bit big for the receiver but still sounds great it's actually apartment shaking.

I'd stock up on beer, wine and snacks - you can count on meeting a few other residents of your building when they figure out the source of the rhythmic thumping they've begun to notice. One of the problems of a serious sub in an apartment complex is that the lows resonate in other people's apartments rather than yours, because the wavelength is so long. A 40 hz tone has a wavelength of about 28 feet, and it's tickling the shaky bits in every apartment that far from yours in any direction. Unless your rooms are long enough to accommodate at least a 1/2 wavelength, your bass may well be louder in an apartment 2 floors away than it is in yours.

When we downsized from a 4000 sq ft house to our condo apartment, I sold a lot of my equipment (which included a few large subs). I only kept my smallest sub (an early Yamaha HS8S) for use in a small system in our enclosed patio room for listening while we sip wine or eat a casual dinner out there. Our apartment is at least 150' from the elevator, and I can hear the lows from that little box (playing at what I consider very low volume) when I get out of the elevator on our floor. Unfortunately, my wife tells me that my piano is also audible from the elevator doors even when I'm playing very softly - and I haven't cranked my Focal towers (flanking the grand piano) since we moved in, for the same reason. Except for the loss of my workshop and machine tools, this is the worst thing about downsizing. I'm actually very happy overall, but I'm back to headphones for high volume listening - we've come full circle from our first days of marriage!

I'd stock up on beer, wine and snacks - you can count on meeting a few other residents of your building when they figure out the source of the rhythmic thumping they've begun to notice. One of the problems of a serious sub in an apartment complex is that the lows resonate in other people's apartments rather than yours, because the wavelength is so long. A 40 hz tone has a wavelength of about 28 feet, and it's tickling the shaky bits in every apartment that far from yours in any direction. Unless your rooms are long enough to accommodate at least a 1/2 wavelength, your bass may well be louder in an apartment 2 floors away than it is in yours.

When we downsized from a 4000 sq ft house to our condo apartment, I sold a lot of my equipment (which included a few large subs). I only kept my smallest sub (an early Yamaha HS8S) for use in a small system in our enclosed patio room for listening while we sip wine or eat a casual dinner out there. Our apartment is at least 150' from the elevator, and I can hear the lows from that little box (playing at what I consider very low volume) when I get out of the elevator on our floor. Unfortunately, my wife tells me that my piano is also audible from the elevator doors even when I'm playing very softly - and I haven't cranked my Focal towers (flanking the grand piano) since we moved in, for the same reason. Except for the loss of my workshop and machine tools, this is the worst thing about downsizing. I'm actually very happy overall, but I'm back to headphones for high volume listening - we've come full circle from our first days of marriage!

Hi bluesman,

I always find your blogs entertaining and interesting - please keep it up as I've learnt a lot from you.

I have recently discovered the joys of adding subs to my system and I am now "hooked" on the benefits of good base and and have connected 2 x 12" subs to my Devialet 200, which has a built in digital crossover. I play them at very low volumes so they simply enhance the sound of my ATC SCM 19 with the crossover set at 70hz.

My house is known as a "semi" in Australia, which means we have a common party wall with our neighbours. The floors are made of timber. It is an old house and the party wall is made from very thick solid block work, which I plan to also line with two layers of high density gyprock, with acoustic green glue in between. This should partly help to minimise the air borne sound but I would also like to minimise any vibrations.

NOISEPROOFING SEALANT | Green Glue

Any thoughts on how best to minimise low frequency vibrations being transferred through the floor to the wall and into my neighbours apartment - would either spikes or foam pads under the subs help? Is there any specific commercially available material?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers