IGNORED

Article: Roon 1.3 Major Update Coming Today

... so, does v1.3 allow Tidal content to be software unfolded (at least to 24/96, like Tidal's own desktop application)? No mention of, what is to many, and important issue has me a little concerned, though that doesn't mean it's not baked in. As a JRMC user who's been on the fence with Roon for a while due to its high (I'm not necessarily saying unjustified, just high) price, this feature could be just the thing to get me to finally pull the trigger (esp. given my non-MQA-enabled DAC).

No software decoding yet.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Unfortunately It had to re-scan my music folder and every album is now tagged as New. The problem with this is, I was only adding MQA stuff so I new what albums were MQA vs. everything else I've had in Roon. That was going to be an easy way for me to find MQA albums. I was just using Tidal through Jriver at the time but I was waiting for today's update to test it all out.

Early results without testing or changing anything yet, my Bel Canto 3.7 DAC (non-MQA DAC) shows input as 48, so it is getting Tidal's MQA version, BTW it's Iron Maiden Killer's, first album I could find that I knew was MQA encoded.

All the MQA albums I add, I tag as MQA.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The inability to use already existing m3u playlists created in other software was a deal breaker for me. Once this is confirmed as fixed, I'll go back to taking advantage of my subscription. Until then....

Looks like it's there now. Here's a screenshot of my Roon, and it shows the M3U option.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Importing_playlists

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 4.09.25 PM.png

I tried the upsampling feature over the weekend, using the "Max PCM" selection. I have an Acoustic Plan DAC that doesn't do any upsampling on its own, nor does it do DSD. I found that while the upsampling seemed to increase the image density, it also dulled the music line. I found the same results when I tried HQ player with Roon. In my rig, sticking to the native sampling rate seems to work best. IMHO, FWIW. -- David

Thanks for the info. This stuff is really system dependent and listener dependent.

• 3 weeks later...
Not knowing about the 1.3 upgrade, I loaded a trial version of Roon just after 1.3 was released. The impetus for doing so was that I realized that unlike JRemote, I could use a Windows tablet as a remote. I no longer have to switch between an old iPad and a Surface Pro 3 to play music, compose emails and surf the web – yippee!! iPad's are a PITA to compose emails on and my long-in-the-tooth iPad 2 is struggling in the surfing department.

Not believing that I would necessarily like the Roon experience especially given its cost, I’ve found otherwise!! So far, compared to JRiver which I have used for years and Apple related music server software, I’ve found the Roon experience to be a wonderful one! It’s as good as if not better than the fact that with a very slight learning curve, Roon just works and it easily does so with all my devices. In fact, I like Roon so much, as soon as I decided that I was going to purchase it, I ordered a new 2017 15.6-inch Spectre x360 convertible notebook primarily for use in the audio room!

BTW, Chris, if you see this, I found your YouTube presentation of Roon to be well done and very helpful….Thanks!!

Good to hear.