IGNORED

Group Test: USB gadgets (AQ Jitterbug, Uptone Regen, iFi iUSB3.0, iPurifier, iPurifier2, UPDATE on p.15…)

• 2 weeks later...
USB has the necessary bandwidth for DSD, otherwise for my purposes, AES3 with re-clocking is wonderful! Despite the 64bit super algorithms et al, software conversions from DSD to PCM leave me cold, it doesn't work that well, no magic. Conversions sound better to me in hardware, so to get DSD to the DAC, USB is it and PCM can come along for the ride.

Well my DAC cannot play DSD, I prefer multibit DACs over Delta Sigma DAC, from what I have heard in my price range. So DSD is not somthing I need to concern myself with.

[br]

That's IMO too simplified view. If you would measure coax SPDIF connection you would also find computer noise. Coax cables have similar influence to sound as SPDIF cables. Why? Because they also affect noise going through them.

I respect your preference of multibit DACs. But most DAC models are delta sigma and most users own delta sigma DACs. Many of us enjoy DSD recordings or PCM to DSD upsampling with HQPlayer. Only USB and IIS digital transports are capable of PCM > 192k and DSD > DSD64.

When I bought my Gustard DAC, I bought also Gustard U10 USB to SPDIF converter. I didn't try HQPlayer yet that time, I played from foobar2000. It was quandary for me what to prefer: Coax solution with U10 and playback restricted to 192k / DSD64 or pure USB solution without such restrictions and with possibility to upsample to DSD128. I found the 2nd possibility as slightly better sounding in foobar2000 and it didn't require the U10 digital converter in the chain. When I tried upsampling with HQPlayer, it brought me further improvement step. No way back to SPDIF. The subsequent USB tweaks brought me further improvement.

My opinion is: These small USB boxes and tweaks are not must, but may bring further improvement in comparison with SPDIF.

I know that there are good souding delta sigma DACs as well. But in the price range I shop 800-2000 euro I preferred my shiit box gungnir multibit. Best DAC I have ever heard is the EMM labs DAC, IMHO better than MSB or dDC. Again it is a matter of taste.

DSD is fine for others. I have no need for it nor will I ever need DSD. Not hating the format. But some want reel to reel others prefer CD. Just a matter of taste. Same goes for DSD vs PCM etc.

[br]