IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

It's limited to somewhat less than CD quality if you don't have a licensed decoder, either hardware or software.

It's important to recognise possible bad developments before they happen. Once they do, there's no going back.

In some countries it is legal so long as you only do it in order to watch DVDs you've legally purchased.

The introduction of DVDs didn't take away my ability to do something I could previously. If MQA has its way, I will no longer be able to obtain lossless high-res music in a non-proprietary format.

My my, so many if's for you to worry about.. What about just listening to music more and enjoying it, either with or without MQA? Trust me, the world will keep turning either way. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I've bought some hi-res downloads from HD Tracks, but I think they are grossly overpriced and you can't always know if they are actually going to sound good. I don't think I always have to own music like we did in the 20th century, but I don't want to spend money on something like an MQA download which could be the Elcaset or 8-track tape of dead formats in 5 years. MQA as a streaming format makes more sense for me personally.

Most of my hi-res music is from the B&W Society of Sound music club, which has a business model that I think is under appreciated. I trust the B&W SOS music because it is run by people who care about sound quality and also have good contacts with people who make the sort of music I enjoy, such as the Real World record label. So rather than join a 'one size fits all' music streaming service I would prefer to join something more niche like a 'Blue Note Jazz club' or similar where you could stream the tracks (in MQA?), get a track in hi-res every month, and get bonus items like audiophile vinyl or books on Jazz and so on that you could purchase with a club discount.

I agree, I also like B&W's approach. Their pricing is also very reasonable.

It's a possibility, not a probability.

My money is on MQA not becoming any form of a large market share standard. FLAC offers up to 50% lossless compression already, is open source licensed, and carries no licensing costs anywhere in the production chain.

If I believe that people can tell an SQ degradation due to the FLAC decode, well that only puts it in the 0.001% of potential customers preferring MQA.

Audiogon has a thread where the only consensus on MQA's superiority of SQ is that there is no consensus. They don't have an advertiser agenda to uphold so I think they have less bias in that regard.

To be clear: I haven't heard MQA myself yet. However I do have Tidal Hifi and a very nice system, so I will try if I can do some testing tomorrow. I'm pretty curious.

You can trust me to show up with a server, a client, a switch configured for LAG and Intel NIC's in an Active/Active team, a $350 audiophile Ethernet cable, and a $10 Ethernet cable. I'm certainly good for that.

Why don't you ask the same of John or Michael? What are they good for? What check are they willing to let only their ears cash?

I'm offering a reasonable circumstance under which I would be willing to be proven wrong. Ask John or Michael what conditions they would be willing to concede they where wrong.

Sauce that is tasty on goose is equally tasty on gander is it not?

If they can A/B cables and hear a clear difference then they can not turn around and say they won't participate in an A/B comparison. They could decline but it would also make them hypocrites.

Let's stop polluting this thread with your cable mumbling.

Well, I am not your survey/marketing dept. You would have to spend some time here and other forums that are relatively free of onerous censoring/banning ;) If you and/or your publication were to survey the "regulars" around here (say, all those with 100 or 200 + posts and who are clearly "audiophiles") you would find that most only read your publications to be informed of the existence of new gear (i.e. they don't really "read" it), largely ignore the details of your reviews, and have a large and substantial distrust of your work and methods. You would find your approval ratings to be below congress!

You can impossibly prove this point. How can you prove that most of the audio forums members have a large distrust of his work?

The only proof I have seen until now is that the 'Paranoid Pack' has the tendency to group together and start attacking individuals mainly based on assumptions and what if's. That's not proof. IMHO it might however be explained as some kind of proof that having a bigger mouth does produce more posts in general than produced by those who are more mild in their judgments.

Ok. Then correlate how a 3 foot $350 cable solves the issue that a properly constructed and passes spec cable does not.

They are all wired to the standard and the standard for CAT6 UTP has noise immunity up to 30MHz.

Show me how a $350 3 foot CAT6 cable is going to require less power for the PHY to drive than a $12 3 foot CAT6 cable .

Show me a difference in transfer function, show me a difference in BER.

You did a 3 part interview with John Swenson. He thinks the outfits doing botique Ethernet cables are tantamount to clueless:

On expensive Ethernet cables from audio cable makers, I'm fairly skeptical that they know what they are doing.

He also makes a point about leakage current potentially having an effect. That plays for both $350 and $10 cables alike.

Stop the bloody Ethernet discussion NOW. That's request nr. 4, I think.

What information have you provided. Post # please.

Providing information doesn't exclude controlled A/B testing. Don't feign stupidity. A/B testing IS information.

I'm not saying that an Ethernet cable can't affect 'something'. Where in gods green earth did I ever say it didn't? What I'm saying is that all things being equal your AQ Vodka cable isn't going to make any difference than a properly constructed TrippLite or BJC CAT6 cable is going to make.

We are talking a typical 1 or 2 meter run out of spec that is good for 100 meters.

How can you not possibly understand that point. You have a known function and we are simply changing the input.

Is this video going to directly address Ethernet cable construction?

You literally can not afford to back your A/B claims with a proper testing rig. I get that.

Oooh, this guy's really hard to convince that this Ethernet discussion is completely off-topic, isn't he..?

This is request nr 5 to move it elsewhere.

Anyone willing to restate this request?

This post right here is why plissken is right - your deep deep in the pit of denial. You "shoot the messenger" (as you did here). Your protected for now, in that your advertisers still have an upside with your site, but that does not change the fact that you are fundamentally anti-consumer and that forums such as this one are real, viable alternatives to what you serve up. In any case, you asked so I told you. Don't ask if you don't want the truth...

The truth.. according to the leader of the Paranoid Pack. [emoji1]

You and I apparently have different definitions of the word "answer". And, with due respect, your pro-Lavorgna bias is blindingly apparent.

Then please read back to his answers to my and - I think - Crenca's questions.

Whether you agree with him is an entirely different topic and no reason for a personal attack.

I don't have a pro-Lavorgna bias at all. But I do like his stance towards personal attacks founded on unfounded assumptions.

I don't have to agree with you to be able to respect you. And I do if your arguments make sense. I've seen many examples by you that fall into that category.

To the above I would like to counter that your anti-Lavorgna bias is blindingly apparent too.

Now back to MQA: tell us what you think, please! [emoji4]

Your tolerance for Mr. Lavorgna's behavior seems to be rather asymmetrical to your tolerance for mine. I'll pass, thanks.

That's rather childish IMO but it's fine. If you like throwing mud more than talking about MQA's SQ who am I to object? This thread is already polluted beyond recognition anyway. To each his own.

NOTE: Sam has changed the above comment after my response and has now shared his first impressions on MQA SQ.

And that is a cop out.

What was the 'natural' condition that allowed you to hear 'easy to discern' and 'readily apparent' differences?

You essentially compared cable A to cable B. You aren't being asked to do anything other than that. You don't need to know the cable in your system to evaluate it's characteristics.

Your claims are being tested.

How is it a 'natural' condition to go to a show and hear differences in Ethernet cabling?

Request nr. 6 [emoji1]

Why can't we have nice things? This is why.

Thanks to everybody that ran off Michael Lavorgna. Nice work there. Sorry for this off topic comment but I just had to voice my displeasure. Some of you guys just need to learn how to let some things go and not try to win every internet discussion. This adds nothing to our collective understanding or to the hobby. Certainly not to those who love music.

Thank you. Couldn't agree more.