IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

Because as Absolute Sound's Robert Harley argues (rightly IMO) in his:

Master Quality Authenticated (MQA): The View From 30,000 Feet | The Absolute Sound

It is all about the "business realities", not about the sound quality. First and foremost on the list of "business realities", is the unreality (i.e. the false believe/understanding) of "the industry" that piracy and open format/standards is the source (or even a major part) of their woes (i.e. the fact that their market keeps shrinking year after year). Soooo, they are seeking a DRM "solution" to this unreality like a vampire seeks blood...

Before anyone objects, I am not arguing that piracy is a non-problem - what I am saying is that it is a problem like a minor skin rash is to stage 4 cancer. The cancer is "Video killed the Radio Star"...

Yes, I get that. But what about my remark that Tidal streaming only of any sound format does not require any DRM at all?

IMO DRM would only make sense in case of downloads, not in case of streaming.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Well it is hear @ Computer Audiophile, where at least 2 dozen or so of us do it every day :)

Seriously, I have found the upsampling-to-DSD-via-HQPlayer/Roon crowd in various unexpected places around the web, so it does have an honest following in the niche of Audiophiledom.

Only Miska can confirm just how small (or large) the niche is by telling us his sales figures...

But this as compared to MQA is a non-starter, because MQA is not about SQ anyways...

dCS Can tell it to you too, as all of their DAC's support DSD upsampling and it really sounds fantastic. [emoji4]

I was only kidding about the SAP thing. [emoji41]

What happens when they find out that the Rossini doesn't have any "time blur" because of its design? I'm expecting that any differences you hear may be due to mastering differences, and could hear a degradation due to the losses of MQA.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

No prob, I can handle a good joke. [emoji6]

It's a good point about the design of the Rossini, which may lead to 'less improvement' with MQA or maybe even worse; especially since I'm also using the external clock (a big improvement in itself). However, to be honest, I expect that most of the claimed MQA 'improvements' should be coming from compensation of time smearing in the ADC's used for the original digital recording, especially older, early Eighties ones. I believe most of the newer DAC's are much better performing in the time domain. In an earlier URL posted by me in this thread (from Audiostream) Michael Lavorgna claimed that the better the DAC the better audible the MQA improvements should be. It's all just theory, though, since I will have to wait for the MQA update before I can report back to you. Promise I will! [emoji4]

2016, the Worst Year for Album Sales Since the Last One | SPIN

what I read from this, Digital downloads down,. Vinyl down, CD sales down. Streaming UP UP and Away.

... which probably means that Tidal will continue their streaming services, with or without success for MQA. Also streaming does not involve the need for (or use of) any DRM. DRM only makes sense for downloads and/or physical media.

Can you provide some links please? Do you have anything about what you think is happening and can you bridge conjecture and assumption to actual measurements?

I know Archimago tested some Ethernet cables and couldn't find any differences. But then again you banned him too.

Sorry plissken, but are you really suggesting here there are no audible differences in different qualities of Ethernet cables? If so, I sincerely doubt your hearing capabilities.. I've heard several comparisons and the differences in SQ are very obvious. I frankly don't care if they are measurable or not. But OK, we're off topic now.

Point taken. Not sure I agree entirely. I think your posts can come off as pretty confrontational and aggressive at times , as well as several others who posted here. All good contributors, but it was clear to me this was driven by some animus and there seems to be the desire to give Michael a beat down. He's perfectly able to stand up for himself, but I just didn't think this was going to go anywhere because of all involved, not just Michael.

I may be wrong.

You were not wrong. The tone was ridiculous.

Jim,

Welcome to Computer Audiophile and the thread I started January 2, 2017. As a Linn employee you have a different viewpoint than I do and I welcome your comments on the original post.

Now, thát's the proper tone to welcome new members!

Why was Michael not being welcomed in a normal way? Unless of course no one is really interested in his opinion because it might differ from yours..? Such a missed chance for an open discussion.. :-((

I'm not sure I completely disagree with your view here. This "desire" you observe is simply a reaction to the heavy handedness that elite audio reviewers enjoy in their protected spaces. IMHO, Mr. Lavorgna has not earned the respect that he believes he deserves. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't dispute some level of animus, but I wholeheartedly believe it is deserved. YMMV of course.

Doesn't help the dialogue at all.. I'm so disappointed to miss this chance to finally have a fair discussion with him, based on clear factual questions instead of a bunch of assumptions. I would be pissed-off too. Hope he will come back and if so, please be more open-minded and less judging than you were just now. Thank you!

I've got $$ that says you can't. My test setup is a Server, Cisco Switch, Client computer with two NIC's teamed. One AQ Vodka cable that and a BJC cable.

This would be single blind. You get $2000 for hitting 14/15 swaps of the cable.

Client computer using JRiver.

This can all happen in real time with zero interruption in the playback.

Not interested, thanks. I hear what I hear and that's enough for me.

He's not coming back though. You are missing the entire point: If Michael can not edit, delete, or ban the user he will not engage in a conversation. It's not in his DNA to have a level playing field in this regard.

You'd have a better chance at winning the lottery. Look at the links I provided. Ctrl+F in your browser and search for 'Sully'. You find a single post of his that merits banning. You won't find one. He's banned because he was making a better technical point than Michael and you can not have that @ Audiostream.

You are all acting like adolescent asses and are surprised he gets angry. I'm not. Again: a sorely missed chance on an open discussion. I'm sooo disappointed!

What you want Vincent1234 is a two way street - but Michael does not do that - if the "facts" do not go his way, and if you do not agree with him he simply will not have a "discussion" with you. Besides, even if he did you would likely be disappointed because he simply does not dig very deep when it comes to the technicalities of things digital. He is much better when engaging in subject "sounds like" impressions...

I would have liked to be able to draw that possible conclusion myself, but only after talking with him instead of relying on some members' clear assumptions.

Don't trust an audiophile that is scared shitless by a blindfold. If they don't trust their ears neither should anyone else.

Yes, fully agree that that's exactly the issue! I do trust my ears way more than your scope. And I used them extensively having a blindfold before I bought that USB cable. But you don't believe me anyway. So, back to the topic: MQA!

1. If you "know me" tell me where I just drove to. I'll give you a hint it was 48 miles one way. If you can come within a 5 mile radius of my destination, I'll put some amount of credence in the notion that you know me.

2. If you believe that you can measure a cable to determine how that cable will affect a system, you do not understand some basic realities.

I have no, as in zero, interest in discussing Ethernet as I've already been there and done that.

Hi Michael, let me tell you that I for one am very happy to have you present in this thread. I believe the start has been extremely bad and I do hope you will stay here for a while to discuss some concerns some members have on MQA, specifically in the areas of its proprietary nature and DRM. Since I'm not specifically concerned myself I hope those members will speak out for themselves, and use a tone that will enable a constructive discussion based on facts, not on assumptions.

He's not coming back though. You are missing the entire point: If Michael can not edit, delete, or ban the user he will not engage in a conversation. It's not in his DNA to have a level playing field in this regard.

You'd have a better chance at winning the lottery. Look at the links I provided. Ctrl+F in your browser and search for 'Sully'. You find a single post of his that merits banning. You won't find one. He's banned because he was making a better technical point than Michael and you can not have that @ Audiostream.

-1 he's back

I worked in IT for nearly 20 years. You can read my bio on AudioStream. What I can tell you is this - being a Network "material expert" does not mean you know what is important, or not, outside your area of expertise.

True! I'm actually working in IT for 25 years and I am 100% sure that all your lovely measurements are pretty much worthless in judging actual SQ.

Thanks Vincent.

So far, it strikes me that some people here are more interested in telling me what they think of me than in asking questions. If that continues to be the case, I hope you can understand how I'll loose interest in continuing.

Yes, I certainly can. One concern expressed by some here is that MQA's proprietary nature might lead to a crowd-out of current open sound file standards, such as PCM, DSD, 'regular' FLAC etc. In this view it could potentially mean that for instance a new album would only appear in MQA. What is your opinion on this?

I do that all the time. Last year we ran 17,000 feet of data cabling and most of it's certified(when the customer options for it) . I know exactly how any given leg of the network is going to perform since we guarantee that performance.

My last install was four 70 inch displays, sixteen 50 inch displays, AMX HDMI Matrix Switcher, AMX remote control panels (10), Christie Projection to a 200" drop down display, Shure Wireless, Crown CT 4 channel amp

All the HDMI is over Ethernet.

It's called engineering Michael.

Indeed it's just that: engineering. NOT high-end audio SQ.