IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

I am not a fan of DRM (though I do believe in the concept of Intellectual Property and think it should be protected).

re SQ of MQA - I have not heard it (!) so I am not going to trash it.

I am as reluctant to suppose that Bob Stuart would involve himself in a consumer fraud production chain as to suppose the same for Nelson Pass in amplification chains.

OTOH, some of his explanations or hand wavings do seem a bit vague ...

Well actually my question was more about any potential BENEFIT for the end customer to justify any investment in MQA files or hardware.

So far, we all seem to think there is little or none.

Stereophile raved about the SQ - if true, that would be a big benefit

Did you read this?

MQA 192k / 96k There and back again.

I look forward to reading Miska's (Jussi) technical evaluation when ready.

I have yes. Note there is no actual data in the plots.

But the point is that everything is aliased - understanding a FFT will show that. So it is only of value to talk about a high degree of aliasing vs. a low degree. I'll wait to see that, and will wait to hear MQA before jumping to speculative conclusions.

MQA may or may not offer better SQ. Let's assume it does and that the SQ is better than a given current std. by a certain increment (for a certain bit rate).

The next question would then be, whether there is a form of DRM encapsulated by MQA or linked (i.e. separable) -- the easier prong to deal with is that the DRM is not separable from the increment in improved SQ.

That then resolves into whether the increment in improved SQ is worth the onus of DRM.

And BTW, only the ignorant will claim there is no onus to DRM. They can enjoy their music and video on the failed formats provided by the DMCA.

MQA appears to be a way to package hi-res so it can stream on lower bit rate 'channels'

I'm not clear that this requires real DRM, but it certainly means you need an ability to decode such streams -- just as do HDCD and SACD, and... everything else, back to Edison's magic spinner discy thing, and the player piano.

Now, the worst thing for consumers would be if MQA could embed into your "owned" library for a while and then -- one day -- you wake up to find out that you are the arse of the world because all of it is now locked (so pay up).

But that is merely nefarious speculation at this point.

and speaking of badgers....

badgers.jpg

Perhaps. I was involved in the very early days of the public internet. That whole "Al Gore invented the internet" business comes from Rush Limbaugh. It is a shibboleth of the right.

of course Gore did do more than any politician to establish the internet; he also had a slip of the tongue in an interview

I am curious what sort of real writing Mr. White does.