IGNORED

The Inner Ear & Crystal Glass

rando

By far the silliest subject very relevant to listening that has not been tackled in great detail here, as far as I can tell, has been one's preferred drink while attuning the ears to the best sound available.

I'm partial to an extremely rare thimble of good Sherry cask aged Scotch in the best crystal glass the house has on offer. Most days I greatly enjoy a sparkling table water like Appollinaris or Vichy Catalan. Tonight however, Stone Double Bastard made it home from the conveniently placed liquor store next to a Comcast office I spent a few hours habitating.

I should make it clearer extremely rare applied to frequency first and availability second. Being a fairly dedicated cyclist mineral water and vitamins are par for the course.

Strong tea is a very interesting answer. High in caffeine and other elements that can have a sizable effect on perception.

Alcohol dulls the senses, I never drink if I will be doing serious listening. Ever notice how after a few drinks the bar's sound system starts to sound good?

I won't discredit anyone winding down after a stressful day with a few drinks. The serious effects of alcohol don't come in the hours following though. The effects continue for a good week or more. Particularly when one never lets their intake develop into an immunity to it.

It's all about feeding and stimulating the brain, one way or another.

I note you are from the UK. Close enough to continental practices to note the importance of your closing statement. The importance of food and stimulation. Meals are a celebration not meant to be taken alone. Stimulating conversation and the creation of a good atmosphere release "drugs" into the nervous system. Beneficial, restorative, natural 'drugs' that exude good will in others. Encourage them to take up instruments which also encourages beneficial, restorative properties to the fore. Firstmost in all of this is lots and lots of good food. Eating that greatly outweighs the amount of alcohol consumed. Should the celebration continue to flourish some reversal is bound to occur. The cooks will drop off and people will either leave or be forced to keep their tongue wet.

I found myself thinking over all of this riding back home in 10 F weather on my Winter road bike yesterday afternoon with a possibly too fresh bottle of Trappist beer. A natural rhythm of life with some enjoyable toil. A large bottle of beer was about to be consumed, but it was the food and music radiating natural warmth and distracting me from focusing on the slight chill. Distancing myself from the idea forwarded here that if alcohol was invented today it would be impossibly harmful. Choosing to dwell only on the convivial and positive interactions it was already a part of.

Though I have some alternative thoughts on the recreational use of drugs it is everyone's right to expound their views here without my interference. I'll just note that to my eye it appears very similar to how alcohol was used against the Indians, opium against...

• 2 years later...

Impetus to rekindle this topic before indoor sports season begins was mounting quickly.  Please refrain from ommitting a suitable beverage in your posts.  

Unexpectedly large amount of this came home with me when a local retailer made a move to replace their male customers with a rainbow of wine coolers and seltzers.  Nicely aged 4 years in a dark cool cellar.

oerbier-fb.webp

• 4 weeks later...