IGNORED

Airport Express or Apple TV ?

barrydmd

It has been said that streaming to the Apple TV vs storing ITunes

on the Apple TV might result in better sound. How would this compare

to streaming to the airport Express? In either case the unit would be

connected via toslink to a DAC and then to my main stereo.

BarryDMD

Hi,

No expert, but I think I've read most often that streaming potentially adds problems from RF and that a hard copy on the Apple TV would theoretically be better, not worse. As for streaming to an Apple TV or an Apple Express -- I'd think there would be no difference. You are basically using the "Express" elements in the Apple TV when you stream.

By the way, I used all of the above until opting to go with a dedicated MacBook Pro as a music server (with an external driver to hold the music), Amarra software and a USB DAC (Arye). I almost always had pretty good results. I used the Tos link with Express and the HDMI port on the Apple TV and let the DACs in my Lexicon MC-12HD to the decoding. Have to say every now and then I did get dropouts while streaming, even at 802.11N rates. Good luck.

MacBook Pro Laptop / Drobo / Amarra / Ayre QB-9 / Control w/ another MacBook Pro (screen sharing) or iPhone w/ \"Remote.\"

'As for streaming to an Apple TV or an Apple Express -- I'd think there would be no difference. You are basically using the "Express" elements in the Apple TV when you stream."

I don't have appropriate measuring tools, but i'd hazard a guess that the jitter provided by the AE is higher in amount -and perhaps lower 'quality' (read, more likely to be heard) - than that offered by the Apple TV. There's been some anecdotal evidence to this effect. In any event, the Apple TV is such a more versatile product that it's value is higher, IMO. I canceled premiums for on-demand movies (and even all movie channels) from my cable provider, and now use iTunes exclusively for spontaneous movie watching.

I used Apple TV exclusively for wireless, 'convenience' listening, until I broke down and installed a Mac Mini as a dedicated server operated in 'headless' mode, which I control VERY conveniently with my personal laptop (Macbook Air). I still use Apple TV as Airtunes client for non-iTunes music, e.g. internet audio streaming via Airfoil (which hijacks Airtunes) direct from the MBAir.

clay

• 2 weeks later...

I switched from an airport express to an apple tv. Neither is ideal, here are the pros/cons that I've encountered:

Airport Express:

Pro:

SILENT

inexpensive

versatile - since switching to the apple tv for my 2 channel rig I put the AE in the kitchen.

Con:

when used wirelessly sometimes the music cuts out (depends on signal strength, cordless phone interference, etc.)

Bright light needs to be covered with tape if you want to dim the lights

Because the of the audio drops I moved to an apple TV:

Pro:

there is now another copy of your library - so if someone is streaming music from the server to the home theater you still have complete control over the 2 channel system.

Con:

What a racket this thing makes. For serious listening it is just too loud - you can hear the drive spin up and spin down from eight feet away. I'm considering taking out the drive and putting in an SSD.

I haven't noticed a difference in audio quality between the two.

Hope this helps,

Corey

Corey[br]Apple TV[br]Peachtree Audio nova[br]PS Audio Trio A100[br]B&W 602 s2

Barry,

Just re-read your question and my answer was a little off, but a couple things apply:

If you're streaming I imagine the hard drive noise would be less of a problem and you may encounter cutouts if you're using wireless.

Corey[br]Apple TV[br]Peachtree Audio nova[br]PS Audio Trio A100[br]B&W 602 s2