IGNORED

Vinyl vs. CD - fixed tones through an oscilloscope

semente

I'm not sure they have "reinvented" the DAC. They have just built what they feel is a better DAC.

As for the the OP ... I'm not sure its of much doubt that digital can provide a "purer" signal. However many people feel the signal from vinyl is "better" for all kinds of reasons. A pure wave is easy to reproduce, its complex music signals where the difficulty lies.

Vinyl is clearly struggling with fixed tones: do you think it'll perform better with "complex" signals?

In any case, I am attracted by the immediacy and clarity that one gets from the visual representation of particular aspects in audio performance (AKA measurements) and thought others might also enjoy watching this particular test...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

It depends if you mean a pure reproduction ... or a pleasing reproduction. And the converse is true of course ... just because a DAC can reproduce a simple signal well; doesn't mean a complex signal will also be reproduced well - perhaps (and I'm surmising rather than offering evidence) that the turntable reproduced the complex signal just as well as it did the simple signal, but the DAC is much worse.

It does demonstrate the difference, but doesn't explain why one might sound "better". And you're right, its interesting ... but given we are told repeatedly that a simple signal can't explain why DACs sound different ... why does this test explain anything about the difference between vinyl and digital?

Please recognise that I'm saying that digital IS better ... but that doesn't equate to it being more pleasing!

I understand that, "pleasing" is the ear of the beholder...

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)