IGNORED

RIP Leon Russell

esimms86

Very sad news ... We lost a giant. Playing "Hank Wilson's Back" as I type and remembering all the great music Leon gave us.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk. 1 --> USB --> Matrix X-SPDIF 2 --> I2S --> PS Audio DirectStream Sr. DAC --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 326S --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7

I'm getting sick of loosing all of these greats. What's going on?

Leon Russell and Joe Cockers' "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" tour was the first concert video I ever saw. Absolutely loved it as a 14 year old kid.

How's this from his CV -

"He was in Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound Orchestra, and he played sessions for Frank Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, the Ventures and the Monkees, among many others. His piano playing is heard on “Mr. Tambourine Man” by the Byrds, “A Taste of Honey” by Herb Alpert, “Live With Me” by the Rolling Stones and all of the Beach Boys’ early albums, including “Pet Sounds.”

Well researched article here from the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/14/arts/music/leon-russell-hit-maker-and-musicians-musician-dies-at-74.html?_r=0

Quote from Rolling Stones interview with Elton John reminiscing about his 1970s tour -

"On his second night at the Troubadour, Elton looked out from the stage and saw his hero, pianist and bandleader Leon Russell, in the crowd. "Leon was the man," says Elton. "I had so many influences on piano: Allen Toussaint, Ian Stewart, Booker T., Little Richard, Fats, Garth Hudson, Jimmy Smith, Jerry Lee...the list is endless. But I wanted to be Leon. He played on everything I loved: Delaney and Bonnie, all the Spector records, Frank Sinatra sessions, and the Wrecking Crew. He had that country feel but with rock*abilly and gospel and soul all mixed up in it."

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I loved this guy, as much as I loved Leonard Cohen's music. When Leon pounded his piano, sang with that twang in his voice, rocked that top hat and play-off beard...then when Rita Coolidge backed him up...well...That was bliss for me.

Had a bromance for that guy...cannot lie.

Bernard

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

You two men go that way...

QNAP TS-131P->2019 Mac Mini-> -> dCS BArtok  -> balanced XLR -> Nagra MPA ->Shunyata Research cables and Hydra 6 -> Acapella La Campanella 2 horn speakers and REL R-328 SubBase. HiFi Rack Reference audio stand.