IGNORED

iDefender3.0 (Official) - USB Ground Loop Eliminator

iDEFENDER3.0

idef.jpg

The iDEFENDER3.0 solves the common ground loop/hum. It ‘breaks’ the ground loop but in a, proper and electrically safe way Just add iPOWER 5v to inject clean power at the source.

Break ground loops the correct way.

iDefender3.0 with IsoEarth®

125.jpg

Use upstream at the audio source.

Because USB is bi-directional.

126.jpg

Latest USB3.0 standard.

For optimum performance.

124.jpg

Cut-off noisy power.

Inject pure, clean iPOWER 5v.

123.jpg

Overview.jpg

The iDefender3.0 protects against the common problems of ground loop noise and noisy USB power (if used with optional external iPower 5V).

As USB is bi-directional, it is important to address noise issues upstream as well as downstream.

Common USB noise problems addressed by the iDefender are:

2. [*=center]Breaks noisy ground-loops. Significantly reduces system noise floor and makes for better dynamic contrast, warmth and resolution
    [*=center]Disconnects the USB Power from the PC and replaces it with a clean external power (optional iPower* 5V for ultra low noise)
    [*=center]USB3.0 port technology – most advanced and highest USB specification

The iDefender, just like its iUSB power sibling, brings usb port noise at the computer from a typical 100uV down to 1uV. So a 100x reduction that is quieter than a 9v battery.

128.jpg

Beneath the compact exterior, the iDefender is feature-rich, with the latest iFi technology.

To be used directly at the Source such as the PC usb port, it breaks ground loops and cuts the noisy USB power line. From computer audiophiles, musicians, home studio artists to pro audio customers, it improves audio playback quality at home and on-the-go.

*To obtain the best result, the optional iPower 5V is recommended.

USB is bi-directional, pays to look upstream

126.jpg

Unlike SPDIF which is directional, even as the USB logo itself illustrates, USB is bi-directional.

Therefore, despite more efforts and benefits to looking downstream such as at the DAC end, we believe it is also beneficial to look upstream at the source.

The iDefender3.0 solves one quite common issue found with either:

1. Multiple earths

2. No earth

That is a ground loop which manifests itself as an audible ‘hum.’

The iDefender3.0 cuts the ground loop AND also offers the ability to inject a clean 5v power supply via the micro USB port at the side.

For computer audio enthusiasts to professional recording studio engineers, the iDefender3.0 slves these two issues in one fell swoop.

Break the noisy USB power, but in the correct way

125.jpg

There are more than a few products that break the USB Power connection, but of the ones known to us, they do very little because the noisy ground connection remains. This is quite a major oversight in our opinion.

For DAC's that do not use USB Power (except for handshake) the iDefender3.0 breaks the ground connection eliminating earth loops, while allowing normal handshake operation to continue. So in terms of cutting out the noise, it does it in the most comprehensive way possible while at the same time, in an electrically correct way.

USB3.0 technology, at the cutting-edge

124.jpg

It is now a hallmark of all the latest iFi signal and power products to be USB3.0 standard. First USB3.0 is backwards compatible with USB2.0. Second, in terms of the specifications, USB3.0 is superior to USB2.0 eg the wire gauge specification is more exhaustive and the connections are better.

Need clean power? Inject iPower ‘quieter than battery’ technology

123.jpg

As the iDefender3.0 breaks the noisy power supply, this is it for DACs with an internally-powered USB line.

But for DAC's that use USB Power a separate power connection is provided to feed in a 5V DC Supply - this is needed to break the ground connection, as long as the DAC tries to draw USB power from the Source instead the ground cannot be isolated.

With a noise floor that of 1uV, the iPower is a new-breed of near silent DC-power supply. Low power consumption and low-noise.

With 12-Element Array on the output and 6-Element Array technology on the input, there is next to no noise supplied and ‘leaked’ back out to nearby devices.

Specifications:

Super-Speed USB3.0 (and USB2.0 backwards compatible)

Connectors: USB3.0 gold-plated connectors

Dimensions: 48 (l) x 18 (w) x 8 mm (h)

Weight: 6.5g (0.23oz)

Warranty period: 12 months

The EU retail price: €49 incl VAT

The US retail price: $45 ex-tax

127.jpg

Our PowerStation is here: click me!

Check out our Tidal MQA Set-up Guides below. 
Android (Renderer) Mobile
Desktop (Decoder) via USB
Desktop (Decoder) via SPDIF

Is it true that this device will drop both the ground and +5v vbus signal post USB handshake effectively making a 4 conductor usb cable a two conductor cable?

No, it's main objective is to break ground loops.

What you describe would not work with a majority of USB DACs as the "handshake" generally is needed permanently, removing USB power is taken as "detach" signal.

Got it, thanks! So how does this device break ground loops? Does that mean that it provides galvanic isolation from one side to the other?

iDefender3.0 breaks groundloops (which is however where > 90% of the benefit of a galvanic isolator over other "gizmo's" comes from) and only that. It is not a galvanic Isolator.

If we had a USB 3.0 capable galvanic isolator, rest assured that we'd be trumpeting this fact from really high tower and it would likely set you back a trifle more than 50 USD :)

• 2 weeks later...
The iDSD Nano is like that, right?

The iDSD nano requires Vbus for source detection. Vbus cannot be disconnected.

However, the circuit used means that if the iDSD nano is in battery mode, V-Bus is in effect disconnected internally, it leaves only a very high impedance sensing node, which does not conduct noise into the iDSD nano.

If using the iDefender and iDSD nano in battery mode, the same holds.

If permanent installation and continuous operation is required, attaching a 5V DC supply to the iDefender (we of course recommend the iPower 5V) allows the iDSD nano to charge while breaking both USB ground and V-Bus lines.

OK, to complete the thought above, are you saying the vbus and ground are switched to the external PS and by implication disconnected from the PC vbus and ground?

So that leaves only the d+ and d- conductors connected between PC and the iDefender output?

Not exactly like that, because if it was done - again the handshake between DAC and PC would not be possible. It takes avert specific and special trick to achieve breaking ground loops, but not at the same time create problems. That "trick" how to do it is our little secret, I hope you can understand.

Please just get an iDefender from one of our partners that allow no quibble returns and try it.

• 3 months later...
Ok I just realised the iDefender can't plug into the iPurifier 2, without an adapter, so that that rules out #2 above. Apologies

In #1 above, is the iSilencer required or is that coverered by the USB iPurifier 2?

iSilencer reduces noise on computer's end, it's an addition to the whole chain, a cherry on top of everything else. It surely doesn't hurt to try it.

• 1 month later...
On 12.03.2017 at 3:04 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi, I have the iDefender in between the computer and Chord Mojo Dac. Without the 5V iPower powering the iDefender, the music playback is fine, even though Chord says you need 5VBUS power for the Mojo.

Does this mean iDefender is doing nothing in this case and acting as a pass-through?

Or does the iDefender stop playback if the Dac downstream is not happy in terms of 5VBUS power?

The iDefender in effect disconnects the ground via a circuit that limits any fault voltage between grounds to a safe value. If enough current is drawn in the Vbus/Gnd loop, the iDefender will switch transparently into "bypass" to allow the downstream device to draw power.

Further, even in 'break ground connection' mode, the circuit is still capable of passing the static DC voltages referred to Gnd on the Data pins and on VBUS that are needed for handshake/speed negotiation/charging current negotiaton. 

This "pass DC" circuit is of very high impedance. Even a few 100uA will trigger it into bypass mode, where the ground & +B isolation is switched off and the iDefender acts as passthrough.

In most USB devices (actually all we know) that do not require USB power for internal operation the USB Vbus is connected via a protection resistor to a high impedance input for sensing Vbus. This circuit typically has extremely low DC current draw (1uA or less) so the iDefender will always isolate in these cases, as it will in cases where the attached USB device requires power and external power is supplied to the iDefender.

It is the various protection and "bypass" circuitry and the power switching that make the iDefender a fairly complex device, compared to simply curring a wire. It will also make sure the iDefender will not drop your DAC's connections in case when external DC is unplugged or the battery is empty. The latter may not sound like a big deal in a stationary hifi system but is important to our pro audio customers who use our products in studios during recording sessions or life events. Here a dropped recording session/DJ set/life music performance disturbed because of a 'loose wire' is absolutely unacceptable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9.04.2017 at 11:00 PM, Em2016 said:

Let's say I have a Dac that needs full 5V bus power at all times:

If I use iDefender3.0 and I don't use a 5v power supply with iDefender3.0, then is a full 5V passed through iDefender3.0 from the PC USB port? Is the ground connection still broken at all times.

No, if the DAC draws USB power and there is no external 5V supply to the iDefender, it must switch into bypass mode, or the DAC would receive no current and would not work. So iDefender transparently prioritises the actual operation of the audio device over breaking the ground.

It can break the ground connection in the following conditions:

1. iDefender without 5V Supply and DAC that does not make use of USB bus power (ths DAC is technically speaking not USB standard compliant).
  2. iDefender without 5V supply and DAC that uses USB bus power for handshake only (USB standard compliant DAC - e.g. iDSD micro in battery power mode).
  3. iDefender with 5V supply and DAC that is powered for operation via USB bus power (e.g. iFi iDAC 2 micro).

On 9.04.2017 at 11:20 PM, Em2016 said:

I guess what I'm getting at is if I have a Dac that needs a full 5V power at all times and I don't power the iDefefender3.0 with an external power via it's microUSB port - my concern is the iDefender3.0 won't have power to actually do anything, i.e. it won't be breaking the ground connect and will just be 'pass through' and not really doing anything.

That's obviously not what I want - I want the ground connection to be broken at ALL times for all cases/scenarios, even when no external power is supplied to the iDefender3.0

Appreciate the clarification

This is physically not possible with a simple/inexpensive device like the iDefender, as it can't generate power by itself.

The iDefender can only select between External Power (ground disconnected), No power - handshake only (ground disconnected) and USB power (ground must be connected to allow current to flow.

For your requirements you need to purchase a full USB isolator that primarily actively isolates USB power (and this usually means also isolating the data path), such as our upcoming iGalvanic3.0.

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ktm777 said:

iDefender in conjunction with iUBS 3.0 nano will come closer to iUSB 3.0 micro?

iUSB micro is the best one we have, soooo....

On a side note, anyone suspects what this critter might be all about?

111111111111111111111111.thumb.jpg.68e056c432d235905b0737e5a97c1074.jpg

23 hours ago, ktm777 said:

Do I - or do I not -  need to power-up iDefender when using it with iUSB 3.0 nano and USB Powered DAC?

Sorry iFi, but I'm a little bit confused?

There's no need, , but iDefender must be placed between Host PC/Mac and iUSB 3.0 nano.

23 hours ago, ktm777 said:

But for DAC's that use USB Power a separate power connection is provided to feed in a 5V DC Supply - this is needed to break the ground connection, as long as the DAC tries to draw USB power from the Source instead the ground cannot be isolated.

The iUSB 3.0 nano on the upstream "B" port draws no power, it is 100% internally powered. So in this case there is no need to power the iDefender.

On 11/7/2018 at 6:03 AM, Em2016 said:

Hi @AMR/iFi audio

How much current can iDefender3.0 supply, when plugged into a USB3.0 host port and without external PSU?

Max current output without an external power supply?

Drawing power in excess of 5mA will cause the ground isolation of the iDEF to be bypassed, it in effect becomes useless.

This is primarily a "fallback" option in case the external supply is lost.

If significant power is drawn (> 5mA) please use an external PSU.

Hi all,

We're getting great feedback on the iDefender3.0 on Amazon at the moment. Just thought I'd share a few comments here. 

This is brilliant and does exactly what I hoped it would do. 
http://bit.ly/iDefenderLennyHoag

Eliminated 95% of Noise 
http://bit.ly/iDefenderMichael

Fixed noise problem with USB powered audio interface 
http://bit.ly/AZiDefenderSAdams

Discover even more feedback here.
What experiences are you having with the iDefender3.0?