IGNORED

Static noise

sure I have RC1590 rotel PRE AMP. monitor audio speakers and i source everything from my imac.... but I'm considering switching to the auralic aries or bluesound node... its obvious the problem or source of the noise is from the imac

Did you try a different source? Anything will be good enough for a test. CD player, phone, ....

• 5 weeks later...
ALl sources so far make the noise... When i turn my pre amp to zero vol the hum noise turns off

Do you have one of the iMacs with an optical output jack? If so try that. It should electrically isolate noise from the Imac. You will need a Toslink cable.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Did you happen to upgrade OS X? I was getting little annoying pops (Gungnir multibit DAC running USB, Mac Mini server). Well, for shits and giggles I hooked up a Schiit Wyrd USB fixer box and the pops went away. I didn't have an optical cable that I could test so I tried the Wyrd box. I solved another problem I had one time. Anyway, I think it was the OS X upgrade that caused it but I'm not sure.

I have a late 2013 iMac so I'm using the USB

Your headphone jack doubles as Toslink. You may need an adapter for it which costs less than 10 dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

can you send me a link for this?

Theres nothing wrong with my preamp that would cause this is there?

i have a new pre amp ROTEL 1590 pre

depending on what I'm doing on my iMac sometimes it shuts off... its weird and i can't really describe it, i just know for how much money i spent on my system I'm not to happy with it

Source is imac going to rotel pre amp.. USB or coax cable give same results

but there is a static noise.. if i use say Tidal hi fi and pause the track it eventually goes away

What happen when you just use a headphone and plug into your iMac?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

Its fine.... I should say its more of a HUM noise

I either use my iMac or my iPad into my Preamp..

When I click the Coax1 option on the front of the ROTEL the noise disappears but when i click the Phono, CD, USB, etc it comes back on... any ideas?

Maybe sounds like a ground loop noise that gets triggered when i plug in my iPad or iMac

would upgrading the firmware on the preamp do anything?