IGNORED

Active Kef LS50

I owned a pair of passive LS50's. I badgered KEF for a powered set. I guess they got enough requests to consider it? Or maybe they would have done it anyway? The extras KEF added to these new wireless powered LS50's is icing on the cake, with one caveat, for me anyway. Half my music files are DSD. Would be doing backflips if KEF had incorporated a DSD capable DAC in these Wireless LS50's. Alas..

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

• 1 month later...

Active LS50's are limited to 192/24. emailed KEF last month and got following response to my question which may be useful to others on CA as well:

"The LS50 Wireless will be using PCM and will not support DSD files. You will still be able to use an existing DAC capable of converting DSD files and then running that into the analog input on the LS50 Wireless."

Plan to use a DAP as source with Active LS50's as my home system. For mobile music, DAP with quality IEM fit my needs. Today's NYT article about personal audio: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/10/fashion/headphones-luxury-fashion-statement-new-york.html

Downsizing has a few pluses. No more rack of components comprising expense of half my annual salary + bye bye footprint and storage box space those components occupied + fewer expensive toys for thief to steal.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

• 4 weeks later...

Owned passive KEF LS50's. Those speakers at their best with great amplifier match. Was set to drop green on Active LS50's thinking who but KEF could match amp stage with their speaker design? Learned soon after KEF Active announcement they would be limited by their internal Dac. If user has high percentage of digital files in DSD and 192 PCM it's a poor choice requiring external Dac to get around and that means more expense. Same frustration using wireless headphones wirelessly these days. For most part DSD is out and PCM resolution tops at 92 kHz with rare exceptions. Where for art thou wireless headphones and active speakers that can do DSD and highest resolution PCM in age of space shuttles, face transplants, gene editing and 3-D printing? If Bluetooth is bottleneck, lets get 2017 protocol that can get it done. No reason to live in past decade, and what's up with ancient 3.5mm jacks when there are better choices. Thank goodness for USB-C. At least there's hope.

• 8 months later...

Non-upgradeable DACs from mid-level-up components are issue for longevity. If no upgradable DAC, perhaps KEF will have incarnation of powered speaker with DAC which can process more types of high resolution files? If so may become interested in KEF again after my positive impressions with their KEF LS50s.

1 hour ago, feelingears said:

Well every pro reviewer admits their listening library is something like 90%+ PCM, and mine is about 99.9%

Every pro reviewer? That snip aside, largess of digital music file libraries are overwhelmingly mp3 or at best Redbook outside the obsessive about their gear audiophile community of which I am a guilty participant. A good part of my music library consists of DSF and 96-192 PCM files, so I have a dog in the fight for more capable onboard DACs.